A friend, family member or colleague should be congratulated when something great happens to them. However, sometimes it is not easy to find the right words and know the gestures to do to show that you care. The person will receive your congratulations as long as you express your sincere enthusiasm for their good fortune. Read this article for some great ideas to use when congratulating someone on an achievement.
Method 1 of 3: Congratulate someone in person
Step 1. Talk about achievement
Don't shy away from the topic when you actually have to celebrate! Mention the reason why you should congratulate that person. If you want, you can tell him how you found out about the news. This will create a correct tone, it will be easier to say the correct words, and you will share the emotion of the person. We will indicate some ways to mention it. For example, you can say:
- "Graig, I heard the great news that you are engaged! How wonderful!"
- "Celine, your father told me that you scored more points than the other members of the team this season."
- "Lola, I just saw your Facebook post. I'm so excited to hear that you are having a baby!
- "Marcus, we just heard the big news about you being promoted to senior manager."
Step 2. Smile when you say your congratulations
After you've mentioned the achievement, express your congratulations with a winning smile. The expression on your face is very important, because if you say your congratulations with a serious look on your face, the person will probably think that you are not really happy.
- If you congratulate a close friend or relative, you can give them a hug.
- If you are concerned that your facial expression is not showing the way you want, you could rehearse it in front of a mirror at home before seeing the person you are congratulating.
- The tone of your voice matters. When you say "congratulations," you have to sound excited.
Step 3. Mention how you feel about the issue
If appropriate, you can add how you feel after saying your congratulations. For example, you could say that you enjoyed watching the person strive toward their goal, or you could simply say, "I'm so happy for you." Be as expressive as you want, keeping in mind that your tone of voice will make a difference.
- Another way you can continue your congratulations is by asking a few questions about the achievement. For example, if your friend is having a baby, you can ask about the due date or if there is any way you can help him in the next few months.
- If you are going to express your congratulations in a professional setting, especially if it is from your boss or manager, it is okay to be a little more reserved after you have expressed your congratulations. Follow the normal customs of your workplace. If people are generally friendly and effusive, say whatever you want. If you work in a traditional corporate environment, it's best not to overdo it.
Step 4. Try to be honest
Regardless of the reason you are congratulating someone, try to make your words and actions as genuine as possible. Of course, there are times when it is necessary to congratulate someone when you are not very happy about their achievement. In some of these moments, you just have to pretend to be cheerful. However, try to remember that you will have to focus on the reason being celebrated at some point. Also, there is nothing wrong with congratulating someone and trying to exude positive vibes, instead of envious thoughts.
If you feel compelled to congratulate someone when you are not really happy about their achievement, it might be better to send a note, rather than congratulate them in person. You may not be able to control your facial expressions when in front of that person. Because of this, she would feel downcast or wonder if you are jealous
Method 2 of 3: Go Further
Step 1. Send an email or a card
In addition to saying congratulations in person, you could send a congratulations note. Similarly, you could send a simple email, a note on Facebook, or write a message on a card you bought at the office supply store. The note you write should include the basics: mentioning the accomplishment, congratulations, and a few happy feelings.
- For example, you can write the following note to a relative: "Dear Suzette, we found out that you and George are expecting a baby this year. Congratulations! We are excited to hear that a new member will join the Comer clan! We can't wait! to see them at the Halloween party to see how they are doing. Love, Betty and Pete. "
- If you are writing a note to a colleague, it should be more formal, for example: "Joan, I heard the news that you were promoted to Chief of Staff. Let me express my sincere congratulations on your achievement. I know the company it will change in a positive way under your command. I wish you well, Ryan. "
- If you are going to congratulate someone because they are getting married, it is good to get a little excited, for example: "Tim and Mary, since I saw them together it was clear that they were destined for each other. They are an incredible couple and all people who know you feel the love you have. Congratulations on starting a new journey together! I wish you many years of happiness! With love, Brenda. "
Step 2. Send a gift
If the occasion is so special that you deserve a thoughtful and inexpensive gift, then send it. Pick a gift that lets the person know that you want to celebrate with them, and send it with a note of congratulations.
- You can't go wrong with flowers, whether you want to congratulate someone on their professional or personal achievement.
- Food is generally recommended. Choose a universal favorite food like chocolate or fresh fruit.
- A bottle of wine or a good bourbon might be a good option.
- In the case of a person graduating from high school or college, they will appreciate being given a small amount of cash.
Step 3. Spread the news
You can help spread the person's joy by telling people about the good news so that they can congratulate them. You can do this by writing a congratulations post on Facebook or having people at the office sign a card. Before you decide to spread the news, make sure you can! Some people prefer to keep the news private until they are ready to tell others.
Step 4. Celebrate with a party
If your best friend went to his dream college or your colleague is going to a better job, having a congratulations party is a great way to show how much you care. It doesn't have to be a big party, you can have an after-work meeting at a restaurant or invite some people to your house for pizza in celebration. The person you congratulate will never forget your kind gesture!
Method 3 of 3: Deal with Unique Situations
Step 1. Congratulate someone on a professional achievement
In the workplace, there will be many occasions to congratulate your colleagues on their promotions or new jobs. Remember to keep company culture in mind when choosing a way to congratulate someone at work. Don't be too effusive in a formal office atmosphere, be professional. We will present you with some ways to congratulate someone at work:
- Say congratulations in person with a genuine smile.
- Write a congratulatory note that is short and professional.
- If you have a close relationship with the person, they could go out for a drink or you could bring something they can share to the office.
Step 2. Share your excitement about someone getting married
When you're congratulating someone who just got engaged or married, show some emotion for that person! You can call him or write him on Facebook to wish him many years of happiness. If you have a close relationship with that person, you can add a gesture:
- Send a card with a personal note to congratulate the couple.
- Consider sending a small gift like some flowers or a bottle of wine.
- If it's a colleague, have everyone in the office sign a card that will be given to them.
- Consider throwing a congratulations party if you have a close relationship with that person.
Step 3. Congratulate someone who is having a baby
A baby on the way is a sentimental occasion that should be celebrated with a genuine smile and hug. If your friend, relative, or colleague announces pregnancy, say congratulations in person and consider doing the following:
- Send a card. It is a custom to do so and you will find many options in the office supply store.
- Send a gift. If you feel like it, you could send a small gift for a baby before it is born.
- Throw a party. If you have a close relationship with the person, you might be the right person to host a party before the baby is born.
Step 4. Congratulate someone on getting through a difficult time
If you notice that someone has overcome some personal problems, you could show encouragement and love by congratulating them. For example, your friend just finished a series of chemotherapy and discovered that her cancer is in remission or that your aunt has just finished her degree after many years of hard work. Find out the gesture that best fits the situation.
- It's always a good idea to send a thoughtful, written note, especially when the person you're congratulating isn't expecting it.
- Similarly, it is a good way to celebrate a person's personal achievement if they go out for dinner or a drink.