Twerk is a great way to dance to your favorite song or exercise, and have fun at the same time. This one will become easy once you learn the basic movements.
Method 1 of 3: Do the Squat and Shake Twerk
Step 1. Squat down
You should not go too low or be too close to the ground, but you should go low enough to have stability and balance. Consider keeping your knees behind your toes to avoid injury to your toes. Stand with your legs apart, closer to the ground, and with your feet out. This will help you keep your balance when you start to move. This is the most common way to twerk and the one with the least sexual provocation.
Pick a fun, fast pace and start practicing! You can practice doing it slowly at first to master the basic movement, and then picking up your pace when you feel more comfortable
Step 2. Bounce your butt out
Get into a position that looks like you are about to sit in a chair; think about the "chair pose" of yoga. Your butt should be the main attraction. Make sure to keep your knees bent and your hands on your hips. Keep your upper body fairly straight and look straight ahead. You don't have to look at the ground to twerk effectively.
As you jump your butt out, you should lean forward about 45 °, shifting the weight onto your toes. This is known as the “Miley twerk”. If you don't want it to be so outrageous, you don't have to lean forward that far and you can keep your chest up
Step 3. Shake your butt back and forth
If you prefer to keep your hands on your hips while twerking, you should press your thumbs on the bones of your buttocks to help you push your hips forward. To move your butt back, use your other fingers to pull back on your hipbones to help your butt go in that direction. If you feel comfortable doing it without your hands, you can raise your arms straight in front of you, bringing them close together and parallel to the ground, and rock them slightly as you continue twerking.
- To twerk to the Miley Cirus, you will have to move your hips quickly from right to left; To do the regular twerk, jump your butt up and down, arching and straightening your back for best results. Don't worry if your butt isn't big, anyone can master this move!
- It's all about isolating the lower half of the body. Try to keep your upper body fairly stable.
- You can also swap hands, keeping them in front of you, at your sides, or back on your hips.
- Also, you can lower yourself to the ground a bit more, putting your hands on your knees, with your fingers pointing towards each other and your wrists out, and shaking your butt with your hands to help you get the most out of it.
- If you really want to make it perfect, mimic one of Miley's facial expressions or one of her hand signals for an added touch.
Method 2 of 3: Do the wall twerk
Step 1. Stand about two feet away from a sturdy wall
Stand with your back to the wall, but very close, so that you can see the wall with your peripheral vision. This is the most striking way to twerk. You shouldn't consider it a good idea after you've had too much to drink; otherwise be prepared to fall. To try wall twerk, you must already be quite confident in your abilities to do so. This move is not for amateurs.
You need to have a lot of upper body strength and good coordination to pull off this look
Step 2. Put your hands on the ground
This time, you need to make sure to hold on tightly to the ground, as you will be putting your feet up the wall and you don't want to fall. Your full hands should be on the ground to give you the balance you need. Raise your butt to make it easier to get your legs up. The hands should be down approximately one foot (30 cm) in front of the feet, about the same distance as shoulder width apart. As you put both hands on the floor, you shift the weight from your legs to your hands.
The torso and upper body should be basically in a handstand position. Fingers should be pointing outward
Step 3. Climb your feet up the wall and bend your knees while shaking your butt
First, put one leg on the wall, reach where you feel stable, and then bring the other leg up to bring them together. Your feet should be about one foot (30 cm) apart from each hip. Firmly place your toes on the wall and practice arching your back and cupping it, creating the basic movement of the twerk. Keep your arms and upper body strong and stable while moving your lower body (which will be above your upper body!). You can think of it as a "hands on the ground" version of twerk, except this time, you'll be leaning against a wall.
- You should try to hold the position for thirty seconds or maybe even a minute, or the length of a short song, but remember that your hands and shoulders will tire after a while.
- This is also a great opportunity to get a wall twerk partner to show off those moves!
- Make sure you go down gracefully. Lower your feet back down the wall, one at a time. You can continue twerk “with your hands on the ground” or just take a complete break from twerk for a while until you are ready to bring out the Miley in you again.
Method 3 of 3: Do the twerk with your hands on the ground
Step 1. Stand with your legs parallel and apart
Make sure your legs are straight and your torso is forward. You should separate them more than the width of the hips. If they are too close together, it will be difficult for you to bend down to twerk well.
Step 2. Put your hands on the ground
Flip your toes outward as you lean down. You can slightly bend your legs and make sure to touch the ground with at least your fingertips. If you are more flexible, you can fully put your hands on the ground. This will help you keep your balance.
Step 3. Make your butt jump
Bend and straighten your legs quickly, accentuating the butt jump during the movement. Bend and stretch your legs to the beat of the music. You can also shake and wiggle your butt while twerking. To do the regular twerk, just arch your back and then pluck it out, letting your butt rock up and down over and over again. To twerk Miley, quickly move your hips from left to right.
- Always twerk with your legs apart.
- Act like no one is around you and do whatever you want while twerking.
- Don't wear jeans that are too tight, they could rip.
- Try not to bend your back too much, or you will risk falling or injuring yourself.
- When you twerk the wall, be careful not to turn over on it!
- Change the rhythm of your twerk to wiggle more. In other words, it takes on the speed of a relatively smooth undulating motion (since, as many music veterans know, this will be better for the body!). In this way, each new movement will reinforce the momentum of the previous one. Advanced techniques allow you to choose the bars and the speed of twerk music playback (use a computer) to achieve harmony, as well as synchronize a team by size, muscle tone and elasticity of the pants.
- Do not wear jeans or another garment that fits your figure, your butt should bounce.
- Keep in mind that when doing the twerk, you will have to arch your back.
- Wear shorts or spandex, something that shows your butt.
- Don't make your butt jump too much, or you could hurt yourself.