The X Factor is an incredibly popular television show where people audition to become famous singers. Leona Lewis, One Direction, Cher Lloyd, Olly Murs, Little Mix and Rebecca Ferguson became known on that show. If you want to audition, here you will learn how.
Method 1 of 3: Before the Audition
Step 1. You must know the deadlines and regulations
There are different dates and rules for the United States and the United Kingdom. Make sure you meet all the requirements and complete all the steps before the deadlines.
- In the United States, you must be 12 years or older (also applies for groups). If you are under 16 years old, you must be accompanied by one of your parents.
- In the UK, you must be 14 or over. This is the same for groups and soloists.
Step 2. Master the verse of a song
Maybe two, in case the person who plays before you sings the same song. You will sing it a cappella (no instruments or background music, just your voice) in front of a member of The X Factor team and the audience around you.
- Avoid cliches. Only sing a song by Whitney Houston or Jennifer Hudson if you're really good. Pick a song that you know will not be the 50th time the judge has heard it that day. If that's the case, it will compare you to everyone else on two different levels.
It is not necessary for the judge to know the song, in fact, it is better not to know it
Step 3. Apply online
Before the start of the season, you will find a form on the website of your country's version of The X Factor. This happens months in advance, so you may have to wait for the next season to start.
You are lucky if you are in the UK. There are many auditions in a truck every year. In fact, this is how James Arthur auditioned. Connect to The X Factor's website, Facebook page and Twitter to view the announcements
Step 4. Find a call to auditions
If you missed the online application, you still have the option to call auditions. Thousands of people pass through it. If one is in your area, great. Get ready and start practicing.
- In the United States, the 2013 audition calls were in LA, Charleston, New Orleans, Long Island and Denver. They will not necessarily be the same next year.
- In the UK, the audition calls were in London, Birmingham, Manchester, Cardiff and Glasgow but there were lots of "mobile" auditions. On the list of cities are Aberdeen, Colchestedor, Islo of Wight and Dublin.
Step 5. Choose an outfit
In the notification you receive when you submit the form it explicitly says: you must stand out from the rest. The personalities are so broad that there really are no limits. You can do whatever goes well with yours.
- The main theme of this program is the show. Here's what the form says: “Dress like the star you want to be. We are looking for the new musical sensation so you must make an impact. We also ask everyone to bring flyers on audition day, the flashier the better.
- Fortunately or unfortunately (no one is sure), wearing your wedding dress or a plastic chicken on your head is not uncommon. Maybe you stand out more without trying, believe it or not.
Step 6. You must be prepared
If the audition is in several months, don't resign yourself. Practice the song over and over until you can sing it well while standing on one foot with your hands tied behind your back. You must be vocally healthy.
Drink lukewarm water. Stay away from alcohol (dry your throat) and definitely don't smoke. If you feel any tingling, have green tea, pineapple juice and rest your vocal cords. Don't force your voice, that will only wear it down
Method 2 of 3: At the audition
Step 1. Get there early
There will be literally thousands of people waiting for your 30 seconds by your side. Parking is limited so if you can avoid driving, do so. If you are a minor, bring an adult person with you.
You must arrive very early. People will be waiting in line for several hours in the morning. Maybe you want to bring something to eat, something to drink (water), a chair, and something to entertain yourself
Step 2. Be patient
This will most likely last all day. Even if they told you to arrive at 8 in the morning. There will be thousands of people participating and the event will not start until everything is established and everyone has entered the stadium (or whatever the type of venue is). Your audition will most likely occur 8 hours after you arrive.
Take the weather into account. Your hair and makeup may not look as good as you want when you audition at 5pm, if you arrived at 4am. Bring extra makeup and comfortable shoes. You will appreciate it in due course
Step 3. Sing with your heart
Finally, the fun part. When your number is called, a member of the team (someone you may recognize) will come up to you and hear you sing. You will do this in front of all the other participants - there is no designated or separate area for the singers. Take a big breath and do your best.
The judge will kindly tell you yes or no. They are not authorized to criticize or comment on you. If they say yes, they will notify you to pass another audition in the near future
Method 3 of 3: Video Audition
Step 1. If you are in the United States, make a video that shows your talent
In 2013, the video submission period was between December and June: it is a long period to prepare a video. Find a song that you like and get the electronic devices to make the best impression you can. Do not cheat.
You may be better off with a high-quality camera. Experiment with the lighting and sound first to see which setting works best. To experiment with different acoustic environments, record your video in different rooms of your house
Step 2. You must attract attention
It's so easy to create simple videos - spend 2 minutes of your time on YouTube to learn what NOT to do. In this type of audition you have the benefit of being able to show your lively and lively personality, so you should be as memorable as possible.
Show your skills. The judges probably want to see more than your mouth so step away from the camera a bit so they can see your shape and style. Even though it's only about your voice, everyone knows that stars also sell with their image
Step 3. Submit your video before the deadline
Go to The X Factor website and submit your video. There you will find the instructions for the process and you must enter your information.
If the judges like you, you will receive a notification. Rest easy. Do not resubmit your video if you do not receive a communication: the judging team has to watch literally thousands of videos. Be patient
- Bring water to the audition. Make sure it's not cold - cold temperatures have a negative effect on your vocal cords.
- Don't say flattery or anything you might regret. You only get one chance to make a good impression.
- Believe in yourself. Superstars don't show their nerves.
- If you feel nervous singing in front of other people, practice with your toys or with your friends. If that doesn't work, join a singing club.