Kakashi is a popular character from the anime and manga Naruto. The spiky silver hairstyle will be easier to achieve with a wig, but you can achieve a similar look with real hair if you dare to bleach and cut it. Whether you're wearing a wig or real hair, you'll use more or less the same procedure to bristle the ends. However, the preparation will be very different.
Method 1 of 3: Combing a Wig
Step 1. Get a short silver wig with lots of volume on top
A wig with synthetic fur is not the best option in this case because it will be more difficult to bristle the ends. The lattice may also be visible. A short, spiky, "rocker" or "punk" style wig would be a better option because they are bulky. Any color between white, pale silver, and medium silver is suitable to mimic Kakashi's hair. Get a wig that is at least 4 inches (10 cm) long.
- Purchase a good quality wig from a costume store, cosplay supply store, or wig store.
- Don't buy a cheap wig from a Halloween or party supply store. It will not be bulky enough and will be difficult to style.
Step 2. Pin the wig to a Styrofoam head
Place the foam head on a wig stand, and then pin it by the edges. Don't fix the top. You can find Styrofoam heads at wig stores, costume shops, well-stocked arts and crafts stores, and online. You can find wig stands online and at well-stocked wig stores.
If you can't find a wig stand, place the foam head on a wooden rod, then insert the rod into a Christmas tree stand
Step 3. Put the headband on the wig
Take out the headband that you will wear with the cosplay and put it on top of the wig. Make sure the top edge of the headband slightly overlaps the front hairline of the wig. Pull out all of the hair that is above the top edge of the headband. Let the hair fall on the tape.
- Make sure the metal plate of the headband is at the front of the wig.
- Foam heads tend to be small. If necessary, secure the tape to the Styrofoam head with pins.
Step 4. If necessary, shape the sides and back of the wig
Kakashi has spiky hair on top and straight on the back and sides. Many rocker and punk style wigs are bulky all over, so you'll need to shape the strands so that they lie flat. You can do this with a hair dryer on low heat while pulling the strands of hair down.
- Instead, if you have a heat resistant wig, you could use a warm setting.
- Don't use an iron. You will melt the wig.
Step 5. Trim and tape the back of the wig
Comb the hair down, starting from where the head begins to curve down (the back of the crown). Hold the ends of a thick strand between your fingers. Point the scissors down, and then run them along the strand as you open and close them. Aim for the hair to be about 2 inches (5.1 cm) long.
Keep working finger-thick strands, row by row, until you finish the back
Step 6. Cut the hair in front of the ears so that it is pointed and long enough to cover them
Determine where the ears will be when you put the wig on. Pin everything behind the ears with bobby pins. Working one side at a time, gather the hair in front of the ears and trim it to give the end a triangular shape.
Point the scissors down as you run them along the edge of the hair section, opening and closing them slightly. This will create a knurled edge
Step 7. If necessary, blend the sides with the back
Remove the pins that hold the rest of the hair back. Find long strands of hair between the sides and the back, and trim them to match the back.
Step 8. Comb a strand of hair forward and trim it to make a spiky fringe
Gather a strand of hair that covers the width of your forehead. Pull forward and style it with the hair dryer if necessary. Pull out a thick strand of hair, hold it between your fingers, and run the scissors down the sides as you did before. Do it across the entire front section.
- Make some spiky locks thicker and longer and thinner and thicker than others.
- The front section should be long enough to fall over your eyes when you put the wig on. The shorter spiky locks should touch the bottom of the headband and eyebrows.
Step 9. Shape spiky locks with hairspray
Spray a strand with hairspray, then pinch the tip with your fingers. Twist the end and then shape more strands in the same way. Tip all the spiky locks to the left.
Step 10. Do the same with the rest of the hair on top using the same method
Continue grabbing strands of hair and trimming them to a pointed shape. Spray the strands with hairspray and pinch the ends to shape them. Make sure again that all the tips are tilted to the left.
Make some strands thicker or thinner than others. Any size between a finger and two fingers thick is ideal
Step 11. Put on the wig with a white cap
Even if the wig has a lot of volume, there is a possibility that a part of the real hair is visible. Although the headband will help secure the wig, you should use bobby pins along the hairline, the sides, and the back.
- If you can't get a white wig cap, you can use a nude one.
- If you can, reach under the headband to secure the wig with a bobby pin. It doesn't matter if you can't do it.
- If the wig needs to be pinned but the headband gets in the way, sew some combs into it.
Method 2 of 3: Cut and Dye Real Hair
Step 1. Start with the proper cut
Kakashi's hair is longer on the top and shorter on the sides and back. The hair on the sides of the head should be long enough to cover the ears, and the hair on the back should be about an inch long. The hair on the top of your head should be several inches or centimeters long. It should span the entire width of the forehead, starting at the hairline and ending at the back of the crown.
- It is not the same style as an undercut, but it is longer.
- If you are going to see a hairdresser, bring real reference photos of Kakashi's wigs or hairstyles made by other cosplayers. Do not take screenshots of the anime.
Step 2. Color your hair with chalk for a temporary option
You should apply white hair chalk to damp hair, let it dry, and then set it with an iron. This will take a long time, but it will be worth it. Do this in thin, horizontal layers, like when you straighten your hair. Colored hairspray is not a good option in this case because it will cause the hair to bunch up.
- However, you can set it with white or silver hairspray to get it the right color. Go to the styling method and use colored hairspray.
- Be aware that hair chalk tends to get things dirty. It could stain the cosplay.
Step 3. Bleach your hair for a more permanent option
The darker your hair, the higher volume developer you should use. If your hair isn't light enough, wait at least a day before bleaching it again. Never leave bleach on your hair for longer than recommended on the package.
- If you have black hair, you could leave the roots dark. This will add depth and dimension to the hair.
- It doesn't matter if the hair looks yellow or orange. The next step will fix it.
Step 4. Tint the hair with purple shampoo if you bleached it
Wet your hair and apply purple shampoo. Leave the shampoo in your hair for the recommended time on the bottle, and then wash it off. The hair will then be white or gray, depending on how light the shade you initially achieved is.
- Instead, if your hair was too orange, choose a dark blue or indigo shampoo.
- If you have very dark hair, it might be impossible to make it white or light gray. You may have to settle for a medium or dark gray.
Method 3 of 3: Combing Real Hair
Step 1. Blow-dry your hair
Use a brush or comb to pull down the hair growth line (bangs), the sides, and the back. When you reach the crown, pull the hair up. This will help you add volume. Use a narrow nozzle on the blow dryer to make your hair straighter.
- The upper section extends from brow to brow, from the hairline to the back of the crown.
- If you have curly hair, a blow dryer may not be enough. In this case, straighten the hair again with an iron. Make sure to use a thermal protector first!
- If you dyed your hair with chalk, skip this step. If you are using colored hairspray, you must follow this step.
Step 2. Hold the strands of the top section up and spray the roots with hairspray
You can apply a little hairspray to the strands, but try to focus on the roots themselves. This will add volume and lift to the hair without weighing it down. Don't do anything on the hairline or bangs for now.
- Angle the strands so they point up and to the left, like Kakashi's.
- Use a light, strong-hold hairspray.
- If you want to use colored hairspray, now is the time to do it. Make sure to cover the entire strand. Use colored hairspray completely in this method.
Step 3. Blow-dry the roots, tilting them to the left
This will help set the hairstyle and hairspray. If necessary, take this time to blow dryer through the hair from the back, front (bangs), and sides pointing down.
Step 4. Use your fingers and hairspray to spike the top of your hair
Spray the long locks you just blown dry with more hairspray. Pull out strands of hair at random and pinch the ends to give them a pointed shape. Vary the spiky locks, making some thick and some thin. If necessary, twist the tips slightly to help set the shape further.
Spray the spiky locks with hairspray one last time when you're done
Step 5. Touch up and spike the bangs
Spray the bangs (the hair growth line) with more hairspray. Use your fingers to part your hair into several triangular strands. Pinch and twist the tips with your fingers, just like you did the top. Flatten the bangs against the forehead. You can tilt them to the left, but don't pull up.
At this point, spike some of the shorter hairs on the side of your head, just before the longer locks start. This will help unify all of your hair
Step 6. Use a mirror to pointy shape and shape the back
Turn your back to the mirror and hold a smaller one in front of you. Use your fingers or a brush to comb the hair from the back of your head upward. Spray hair with hairspray and brush it a little higher. Create some spiky locks where the short hair at the back becomes the longest part at the top.
Step 7. Set the style by spraying it one last time with hairspray
Once the hairspray dries, you're done! Finish putting on your cosplay, including makeup, and then put on your headband. If you haven't already, remember to place the mask over your mouth and nose.
- Another way to cut a wig is to cut the strands up.
- Cut the wig longer than you think is necessary. Try it on and then trim it if necessary.
- Print lots of reference images. It is better to use photos of other Kakashi cosplayers or realistic paintings of Kakashi than to use screenshots.
- You can wear a longer wig to imitate Kakashi, but first you will need to trim the spiky strands so that they are approximately 5 inches (13 cm).
- If you can't find a purple shampoo, you can make it at home by mixing a little purple dye or food coloring with a white conditioner. Apply to damp hair, wait 3-5 minutes, then rinse.
- You could use a combination of hair chalk and colored hairspray for more coverage. White hair chalk and hairspray are the best option.
- Hair chalk and colored hairspray tend to stick to clothes and stain a bit. They could ruin the cosplay.
- Bleaching hair can be harmful. If you already have dry and brittle hair, you could use a temporary option or a wig.