It can be fun and easy to convince your friends that you are a mermaid by doing things like altering your look and learning about mermaid mythology. Use lots of pastel colors and choose accessories made of shells and pearls to dress up as a mermaid. You can even style your hair in light beachy waves or give it a pastel shade to match the look. Learn as much as possible about mermaids so you can share the knowledge with friends. Giving your room a mermaid-inspired look will help to completely convince your friends that you are one.
Method 1 of 4: Dress Like a Mermaid
Step 1. Wear pastel or sequined clothing for a mermaid vibe
Pastel shades of green, purple, blue, and coral are great options. To add some sparkle to your outfit, wear a sequined coat or belt to make you shine.
- Sparkly sequin jackets or pants are good options.
- Look for loose, pastel-colored dresses.
- To complete the look, choose shoes in turquoise, purple, coral or gold.
Step 2. For a more daring look, choose clothes that have mermaid graphics
Wear marine-themed clothing, such as seashell patterned shirts or skirts that have a mermaid scale pattern. You could even wear a T-shirt with a picture of a mermaid or a beach landscape.
- Wear a dress that is filled with images of seashells or a skirt with fish.
- Choose a t-shirt with a dolphin image, a jeweled treasure chest, or an underwater landscape.
Step 3. Select jewelry made from things like pearls or shells
Accessorizing jewelry is a great way to add mermaid charm to your outfit. You can wear a turquoise and blue pearl necklace, shell earrings, or bracelets.
- You can find cute options for mermaid jewelry in jewelry stores, or online stores.
- Make your own jewelry by tucking seashells with holes into a necklace.
Step 4. Find hair accessories to unify the mermaid look
Choose hair accessories that go with the outfit and match the colors you're wearing. You can also choose more daring hair accessories, such as metallic headbands or seashell hooks.
- If you are wearing a blue and green dress, use a ribbon of the same colors in your hair to match.
- Use a jeweled headband or seashell hair clip to transform an ordinary outfit into a mermaid-inspired look.
Step 5. Take the mermaid look to another level by getting a tail
You can buy a mermaid tail online, make it at home, or have a professional make a custom one for you. It is better to use one made of fabric so that it does not weigh too much, choose one that you can swim with if you want. Compare prices before deciding which one you want if you are going to buy it because they can be expensive.
- There are mermaid tails of different colors and varieties. Search the internet by typing "functional mermaid tails" into a search engine and you will find many options.
- You can make your own mermaid tail using stretch fabric with a scale pattern and a rubber mat for the end of the tail.
- Take pictures with your tail on for your friends to see.
Method 2 of 4: Do a hairstyle and makeup
Step 1. If you want natural mermaid hair, get beachy waves
There are several ways to wave your hair. If your hair is a little naturally curly, spray your hair with a sea salt spray to bring out the natural waves. Or if you want loose, tousled curls, use a curling iron on strands of hair for a few seconds each.
- The longer your hair is, the better… mermaids are known for having long hair. If you want, consider wearing hair extensions to lengthen it, but don't forget to ask your parents for permission first!
- Give your hair a natural mermaid shine by adding a few drops of hair oil.
Step 2. For a bolder mermaid hairstyle, dye your hair pastel
It could be a color like blue, purple, pink, or pastel green. For a professional to dye your hair, go to a salon, or buy a kit of the color you want to do it at home. Coloring your hair is a bigger commitment, so first make sure you have permission from the school and your parents.
You can wear a wig if you don't want to dye your hair
Step 3. Apply makeup that looks as natural as possible
Because mermaids often swim, they don't tend to wear too much makeup. Keep the look as natural and subtle as possible, an example of makeup that you can choose is a base to cover imperfections and a light touch of mascara to make the eyes stand out.
Make your lips look shiny with a neutral shade of lip gloss
Step 4. If you want to paint your nails in a pastel or metallic color
Choose a pastel blue, purple, green, or coral color. A metallic nail polish color in gold or silver is great for adding a bit of sparkle and will look good with just about any outfit.
If you like nail art, try painting fish, waves, seashells, or a mermaid tail on them
Method 3 of 4: Act Like a Mermaid
Step 1. Learn traditional stories about mermaids and facts about the ocean so you can talk about these topics
Read books or articles online about mythology, traditional stories about mermaids, and any related fairy tales so you know as much about them as possible. It's also a good idea, in case you're asked, to learn about the closest ocean or body of water that you would swim in if you were a mermaid.
- You may need to know what kinds of animals live in the closest body of water, for example also how deep it is or how long mermaids have been around.
- Read books like "Mermaids: Traditional Myths, Legends and Stories" by Skye Alexander or "Mermaid Tales from Around the World" by Mary Pope Osborne.
- Look for stories about mermaids, like their story.
Step 2. To imitate the musical charm of a mermaid, sing whenever possible
If you sing well, sing softly when acceptable, such as when you walk the halls between classes or go out with friends. If you don't want to sing, you can hum or listen to mermaid music while you're with them.
- Do not sing in class or other times when you must be silent so as not to interrupt.
- Search the internet for mermaid playlists that include Celtic and underwater sounds if you want to find mermaid music.
Step 3. Bring up mermaid-related topics subtly in conversation with your friends
A good time to show what you know about mermaids is when someone talks about swimming, mythology, the ocean, or any other related topic. You can easily bring it up by asking your friends questions like "Did you watch the TV show about underwater explorations?" or "Which beach have you recently visited that was your favorite?"
- Wait for them to answer what you asked, and then add small snippets of the information you have learned.
- Talk to your friends about how fast you can swim or what you know about ocean tides.
Step 4. Try not to touch water to show your friends that you are a real mermaid
It is said that if a mermaid touches the water, she only has a few seconds before she becomes who she really is. Avoid going near water fountains and sinks, and drink water from a straw or bottle. If you get wet or splashed, act like you panicked and dry off as quickly as possible.
- Always carry a towel in your backpack or purse in case you get wet.
- If your friends ask you to swim, you should tell them that you can't without giving them a specific reason. All of these behaviors will cause strong suspicions in them that you are a mermaid.
Step 5. Do it discreetly to convince your friends in the right way
If you constantly talk about being a mermaid, they won't take you seriously. A true mermaid wouldn't want people to know that she is, which is why it's important that you only hint rather than tell them what you are.
Method 4 of 4: Create a Mermaid Room
Step 1. Buy fish to be your pets and show that you love marine life
Get a small goldfish or betta fish at your local pet store if you don't already have one. Put it in a fish tank in your room, and decorate it with colored stones or seaweed. The fish will be a new friend and show that you have a passion for water and its inhabitants!
- Ask your parents for permission before buying a fish. It is important to have your permission and support, because caring for a pet is a huge responsibility.
- When your friends visit you, show them the fish, tell them what its name is, and tell them fun facts about its specific species.
Step 2. Choose marine-themed bedding and pillows
It can be as easy as choosing bedding that is the same shade of blue as the ocean, or ruffled blankets and pillows that look like waves. Choosing bedding that reminds you and any visitor to the ocean will help them think about how much you look like a mermaid.
- Use sheets that have fish or seashells on them.
- Choose turquoise or sky blue satin bedding with ruffles for a beautiful beach vibe.
Step 3. Hang flowing fabric curtains to look like waves
Select curtains in a very light color, such as white or light blue. Choose ones that are almost transparent so light shines through easily, giving the room a bright, mystical feel.
- For a better effect, choose curtains that have ruffles or that extend to the floor.
- Chiffon is a very good curtain material because it lets in light and is soft and slightly shiny.
Step 4. Gather pictures that relate to mermaids and hang them on the walls
Print pictures of mermaids swimming in the ocean or resting on rocks to put in frames around the room. Choose other marine-themed pictures to hang up, like the beach at sunset or a pod of dolphins.
- To complete the look, decorate the frames with sequins or seashells.
- You can also hang them on a bulletin board or tape them to a mirror.
Step 5. Store the jewels in a treasure chest
It is a very adorable way to hint that you are a mermaid and also to store your jewelry collection in a novelty container. You can decorate the treasure chest or purchase an already decorated jewelry box from a home supply store or online.
- If you want to decorate your own treasure chest, paint it a pastel color like pink or purple, attach sequins to it, or cover it with plastic jewelry.
- You can also decorate a treasure chest to hold other things, such as blankets, books, toys, or other items.
Step 6. Keep a mermaid journal for your friends to take a look at
Decorate a diary with a mermaid image and other things related to the sea, making it clear on the cover that it is your mermaid diary. Write about mermaid experiences in the journal so that any friend who finds it will want to read about your life as one.
- The journal could have "The Life of a Mermaid" written on the front and be filled with images of the ocean, seashells, and marine animals.
- Write things in your journal such as "I want to go to the ocean so much", "Today my scales were itching a lot" or "I hope I can swim again with the pod of dolphins!"
- If you want, take the journal to school so that your friends can see you write in it.
- Paint your nails a pastel or metallic color.
- If you want to wear makeup, keep it subtle and natural. Mermaids swim frequently, so it would be unrealistic for you to wear a lot of makeup.