Does the idea of making a ghost costume give you the creeps? Don't be afraid to make your own costume. All you need is a few simple items, and the help of a friend. If you follow these steps, you'll be wearing your new ghost costume in no time.
Method 1 of 2: Make a Traditional Ghost Costume
Step 1. Cut the brim from a light colored baseball cap
If you don't want to cut the brim off your hat, you can use it upside down, or you can buy one from a thrift store.
The cap should be as light as possible, so that people cannot see the dark color through the sheet that you will have over your head
Step 2. Cover the head of the person wearing the ghost costume with the sheet
If it crawls too much on the ground, mark where it will need to be cut.
The costume should be dragged a little bit to create a floating effect, but not so much that the person wearing it will trip over
Step 3. Mark the center of the person's head with a black marker on the sheet
Step 4. Mark the eye holes
Tell the person under the sheet to stick their fingers out where their eyes are, and draw little dots on the sheet.
Step 5. Remove the sheet
Pin it to the baseball hat. The mark you made in the center of the person's head should be in the center of the hat.
- Fasten the sheet around the hat - you will need to use three or more pins.
- If you don't want the black dot on top of the head to show too much, you can turn the sheet over. You should still be able to see where the mark is, but it will be less visible to others.
- You can also cover the mark with white concealer. You can also use a fading fabric pencil (invisible fabric marker).
Step 6. Cut the holes for the eyes
Cut the eye holes where you marked them. make a circle with black magic marker. The holes must be at least twice the size of the person's eyes.
Step 7. Draw a mouth and a nose
Use the marker to draw a nose and a mouth. You can cut a hole for either the nose or the mouth to make it easier to breathe.
Step 8. If the sheet is too long, cut it
If you marked where it should be cut, cut along that line.
Method 2 of 2: Make a More Elaborate Ghost Costume
Step 1. Cover the head of the person wearing the ghost costume with the sheet
Step 2. Draw a circle around the neck area
Step 3. Mark the area above the person's elbows
Step 4. Mark the area below the person's ankles
Step 5. Remove the sheet
Step 6. Cut a circle around the circular area you marked for the head
You can make it a little bigger when you cut it, to make sure the person's head goes through the sheet.
Step 7. Cut armholes through the marks you made on the shoulders
Step 8. Cut along the ankle line
Cut in jagged lines for an uneven effect.
Step 9. Take the scraps of the fabric and glue them all over the costume in jagged and irregular shapes
Make it with fabric glue. This will give the costume a ghostly effect.
Step 10. The person wearing the costume should wear a white long-sleeved shirt
You can glue more ragged triangles onto the person's shirt so they hang like icicles.
Step 11. Put the sheet back on the person
Your friend should be able to put his head through the top hole and his arms should fit snugly into the arm holes.
Step 12. Apply white makeup all over the person's face, including the eyebrows and lips
You can also apply makeup to the person's neck, as it will be visible
Step 13. Draw gray circles on your friend's eyelids and under his eyes
You can paint the lips, or leave them covered with white makeup.
Step 14. Sprinkle flour on the person's hair
This will give it a dusty look.
- The sheet method for making a ghost costume is classic, but remember that it can be a bit difficult to socialize. If you are going to use it to trick or treating during Halloween it is a great costume; But if you are going to a party, painting your face and covering yourself with a sheet over your shoulders may be the best idea.
- Kids can get annoying under a ghost costume. If your child really wants to be a ghost, the face painting method may work better.
- Paint your nails white or black to add points to your ghostly look.
- Try to wear light-colored shoes with your costume for a more authentic look.