How to pretend that you are pregnant? Do you need a pregnancy belly that is not too expensive and that you can do yourself quickly? If so, continue reading, consider that with this fake belly you will look between 7 and 8 months pregnant.
Method 1 of 3: Wear a helmet
Step 1. Choose a helmet that will serve as a pregnancy belly
Do not wear helmets that have a visor or screen, if you use them your belly will have an uneven and strange appearance. A bicycle helmet is probably the best option as they are made in so many different ways that work perfectly well for making a fake belly, if you get the chance, try a few on to decide which one will result in the most convincing pregnancy belly.
Step 2. Apply masking tape to the outside of the helmet to hide any uneven parts
You don't want your belly to be full of lumps and bumps, so apply as many layers of duct tape as necessary to make the helmet completely smooth. You are done when there is no evidence of any imperfections.
Step 3. Secure or remove any loose straps
If you don't plan on using the helmet for anything else, you can carefully cut the straps with a sharp pair of scissors. However, consider that doing so will have ruined a good helmet. You can also tuck the straps inside of it and then use a bit of duct tape to attach them to the inside of the case, as you do so make sure they stay in place and don't hang down the bottom of your fake belly.
Step 4. Attach the helmet to your torso
There are several different ways you can use to hold the helmet in place, you could even try to fix it by combining a couple of them. You don't want your belly to slide to the side or fall off!
- Secure the helmet to your torso by wrapping it with several turns of elastic sports bandage. Wrap the bandage tightly around the helmet and your body. Use as many wraps as necessary to support it so that the belly looks smooth when covered with a blouse or shirt.
- Secure the helmet with a little more of the tape that you used in step 2.
- Surround the helmet with a few more turns of tight bandage to keep it in place.
Step 5. Wear a blouse that complements your fake pregnancy belly
Note that if the top is too tight, it might be obvious that your belly is a bit oddly shaped. It is better to choose a looser and more vaporous garment.
Method 2 of 3: Use two blankets
Step 1. Choose two medium blankets, both in thickness and size
They should be about the size and weight of a small blanket, not as big as a sheet or as thick as a blanket or quilt. These two blankets will form the bulge of your pregnancy belly.
Avoid blankets with a thick edge, as this could give your belly an odd appearance
Step 2. Fold blanket 1 into a diamond shape
This will be the outer layer of your belly and you will use it to even the surface and add volume.
- Spread blanket 1 on the floor or on a large surface, such as a bed or table.
- Carefully fold each of the four corners toward the center of the blanket, until all four touch. Do you remember making an origami fortune teller (pacifier) when you were a child? Imagine that you are doing exactly that when you fold the blanket.
- The result will be an uneven diamond or a square, depending on the shape of the original blanket. Don't worry if it's not a perfect square, it doesn't have to be.
Step 3. Roll up blanket 2 to create your fake belly bulge
It does not have to be a perfectly circular roll, rather try that one of the sides is wider and somewhat flattened, so that it resembles more the belly of a pregnancy. When you roll up the blanket, make sure one side is flat and smooth hides the edges of the other. You want the smooth side to remain facing forward so that no one will notice that your belly is made of blankets.
Step 4. Fold blanket 1 over blanket 2
By combining both blankets you will be adding volume to your belly, but make sure it looks realistic. Perform this step very carefully, so that your belly does not start to fall apart after a few minutes of use.
- Place blanket 2 in the center of blanket 1.
- Take the four outer corners of blanket 1, not the four that touch the center, and fold them over the roll formed by blanket 2 to create a small wrap around it.
- Secure the ends with masking tape so they stay together, using just enough tape will ensure that the ends don't come off.
Step 5. Attach the blankets to your torso
Follow the same procedure that was explained for the helmet, in the previous method.
- Secure the blankets to your torso by wrapping them with several turns of elastic sports bandage. Wrap the bandage tightly around the blankets and around your body. Use as many wraps as necessary to hold them so that the belly looks smooth.
- Secure the blankets with a little more of the duct tape you used in step 2.
- Wrap the blankets with a few more wraps of tight bandage to keep them in place.
Step 6. Put a blouse over the fake belly and you are done
Note that even though the blankets will lack the protruding parts that a helmet usually has, you could notice some folds and imperfections in your belly if you did not manage to make it as smooth as you wanted, so it is best to wear a loose blouse.
Method 3 of 3: Use a Beach Ball
Step 1. Pick a beach ball of the right size
There are all kinds of them, so you can choose one that is neither too small nor huge. The "standard" size will probably be the most suitable for this project.
Step 2. Inflate the beach ball to half its capacity
Blow through the valve, making sure no air escapes until the ball is inflated to half or three-quarters of its capacity. You can adjust it to the size you want your belly to have.
If you want a huge belly, then inflate the ball to its full capacity. It will look cartoonishly large for a pregnancy, but maybe that's what you want to achieve with your costume
Step 3. Secure the beach ball to your torso
Again, you can use elastic bandages, regular bandages, or tank tops to achieve this. Since the beach ball isn't as heavy as a helmet or two blankets, you won't have to work as hard to keep it in place. You could accomplish your mission with a single tight bandage or even a tank top.
Make sure the air valve is facing down. If it is pointed outward or upward, it will show through your blouse, and if you put it against your body it will irritate your skin and start to cause pain in no time
Step 4. Put a loose top over the beach ball and you're good to go
With this method you could even wear something tighter. Try on a few different tops and shirts and decide which one suits you best with your fake belly.
- Observe how pregnant women walk, sit, and stoop.
- If your goal is to make someone really believe that you are pregnant, go online and print an ultrasound and visit maternity and baby clothing stores, you may come across someone by "accident."
- Walk with a swing and keep your legs slightly apart.
- Watch how you sit and squat.
- Put some blush on your face, deep red color. Maybe you also want to wear some on the arms; consider that some women have a change in skin color during pregnancy.
- Massage your belly frequently and smile. Don't just do this when they are looking at you, because then it will be obvious that you are faking it.