Forget thick, sticky costumes made from cardboard and face paint. You can dress up as Harry Potter and keep comfortable and they will still instantly recognize you. Be careful if you see someone dressed as Lord Volde– Rather, the one who shouldn't be named!
Part 1 of 2: Dress up as Harry Potter
Step 1. Dress in black pants and a white shirt
If you can, put on pants and a button-down shirt with a collar. The Hogwarts dress code requires everyone to look great.
Wear a burgundy cardigan (red sweater) if you get cold
Step 2. Wear an old black robe
Harry Potter doesn't always use it in the movies, but it is mandatory for all Hogwarts students in the books. Also, a shirt and pants don't look very magical on their own. There are several ways to get one:
Step 3. Look in graduation stores that sell academic gowns
Ask them if they have any old robes that they can sell you cheaply to make a costume.
- You could find one at a thrift store, charity shop, or costume store.
- If you know a professor, judge or lawyer, ask him to borrow his robe. (Note: attorneys in the United States do not wear robes.)
- You can wear a long black coat with the back facing forward, or a long black skirt draped over the shoulders.
Step 4. Hide long hair under a hat
You don't need to wear a pointy black hat to dress up as Harry Potter, but it is easily recognized as a wizard hat. The main purpose of wearing a hat like this is to hide your hair if you have it long.
Step 5. Make a pair of "broken" glasses
Get a pair of round glasses with black frames at a used clothing store or drugstore. Put a piece of clear tape over the center of the glasses, just like Harry does when his glasses break.
- You can buy fake glasses along with a nose and mustache at toy stores. Take off the extra pieces, and they'll be the perfect shape.
- If you already wear glasses, you can make the frames black with puffy paint. To make the costume faster, cut empty circles from black construction paper and tape them over the frames.
Step 6. Make a red and gold scarf
If you're lucky, you can find a red and gold striped scarf at a clothing store, or ask someone to knit or knit it for you. Otherwise, you will need to start with a simple red scarf. There are a few ways you can add the gold or yellow stripes:
- Wrap a yellow ribbon around the spiral scarf. Staple it or sew it in place.
- Cut yellow felt or construction paper into rectangles. Spread them over the scarf. Staple or sew them.
- Paint the fabric with fabric paint.
Step 7. Make a red and gold tie
Look for a red tie at a thrift store, it is best not to paint your own tie or that of a family member. You can make it the same way you made the scarf, but it will look better with fabric paint.
In the movies, Gryffindor ties are red with gold diagonal stripes. Paint a thin gold line. Leave 1.5 inches (3 cm) in red, then paint two thick lines with a thin space between them. Leave another 1.5 inches (3 cm) in red and continue with another thin line
Step 8. Draw the scar in the shape of a lightning bolt
Draw the famous lightning bolt scar across your forehead. You can use red lip liner, lipstick, or a non-toxic, washable highlighter.
The scar is sometimes shown and described running down the center of your forehead, or down the right side
Part 2 of 2: Add accessories
Step 1. Turn a stick into a wand
Find a strong stick from any tree, about 10 inches (30 cm) long. Decorate it however you like with paint, or spiral patterns with puffy paint or a glue gun. Harry Potter's wand looks pretty simple in the movies, but your version doesn't have to be.
- Instead, you can purchase a thick wooden dowel from a hardware store.
- To make a quick and easy wand, glue together a few pencils, twigs, or chopsticks. Tape brown or black construction paper over them with masking tape.
Step 2. Carry a stuffed snowy owl
Carry your own Hedwig standing on your arm or shoulder. (Tie it with a piece of string if necessary.) Look in the toy section of department stores or charity shops.
Step 3. Make a fountain pen
You can turn any pen with a rigid base into a fountain pen. For an easier version, tape a pen from a craft store to a pen or pencil. You may also find fake scrolls or scrolls to write with the pen at craft stores.
Step 4. Get a broom
Harry is a Quidditch player, he must have a broom to fly around. Choose a wooden one with real bristles to make it look better.
- To complete the outfit, also wear the Golden Snitch. Paint a table tennis ball with gold paint and glue wings made of yellow construction paper to it.
- Try to convince your friends to play Quidditch with you.
- If you're playing the character for Halloween or a costume party, point your wand at people and say "Expelliarmus!", "Expecto Patronum!" or another similar phrase from Harry Potter.
- If you're really serious about it, you can embroider the Hogwarts logo on the robe.
- If you are a girl, tie your hair a bit messy or go bob.
- Goose feathers are the best choice for fountain pens.
- Never try to cut your forehead to make the scar. You can hurt yourself.
- If you want, you can dress up as a character from a different house, leaving your forehead without the scar or glasses and changing the color of the scarf or tie.