If you are a fan of Harry Potter, chances are you love to surround yourself with objects from books and movies. However, sometimes these items add up and can be expensive. Fortunately, there are many easy ways to make your own Harry Potter items at home with little or no money.
Method 1 of 3: Create Your Own Magic Items
Step 1. Make a wand out of a toothpick
Harry needed to go to Diagon Alley for his wand, but you can create your own at home. For this project, you will need a 15-inch bamboo kitchen toothpick, brown acrylic paint, a foam brush, a hot glue gun, and a spray polish.
- Use the hot glue gun to carefully apply the glue to the bottom third of the toothpick to create the handle of the wand. Use 1-2 toothpicks to make the handle thicker.
- The handle should look thicker than the rest of the wand and can be decorated any way you like.
- After the glue dries, paint the wand.
- After the paint dries, apply a coat of polish to all parts of the wand.
Step 2. Make a golden snitch with a ping pong ball
You don't have to catch the golden snitch on the Quidditch pitch if you can make your own at home. For this project, you will need a table tennis ball, thin cardboard, a marker or marker, a glue gun, scissors, and a gold spray paint.
- Use the marker or marker to draw two wings on the cardboard. The snitch's wings should be small enough to adhere to the ping pong ball.
- Use scissors to cut the wings.
- Gently apply the hot glue to the ping pong ball to create the complex design you want.
- While the glue is still hot, pin the wings to the sides of the ping pong ball.
- Apply two coats of spray paint to the ping pong ball and wings.
- Glue a piece of string to the top of the snitch and hang it on a Christmas tree.
Step 3. Make your own time turner
Hermione used the time turner to take additional classes, and now you can make your own version at home. For this project, you will need a gold spray paint, wire, 3 different sized key rings, a hot glue gun, and some small beads.
- Take two small beads and thread them onto the wire. Glue the beads with the hot glue so that they are fixed in the center of the wire.
- Thread the wire into the smaller key ring so that the beads are positioned in the center of the key ring.
- Thread the wire into the medium key ring so that the beads and small key ring are positioned in the center of the medium key ring.
- Wrap the excess wire around the medium key ring to keep it in place.
- Thread the wire into the larger key ring so that the smaller rings and beads are positioned in the center.
- Wrap the excess wire around the large key ring to keep it in place.
- Paint the time turner gold with a spray paint.
- Allow the time turner to air dry for 25 minutes before removing any excess wire.
Step 4. Make your own Harry Potter textbooks
Every year Harry had to buy his new textbooks for his classes, but you can easily make your own. For this project, you will need some old books (preferably old textbooks), kraft paper, a printer, glue, and a photo editing program like Photoshop.
- Measure the front, back, and spine of the book. Design Photoshop book covers that are the same size as the front, back, and spine of the book.
- If you are not comfortable using Photoshop, look up some Harry Potter templates online. Make sure to resize them to fit the book.
- Cut 8.5 "by 11" (22 centimeters by 28 centimeters) from the kraft paper and print your designs on this paper.
- Attach your printed designs to your book using glue or tape. Cut the excess paper from the book and display it on a shelf or blanket.
Method 2 of 3: Make Delicious Harry Potter Snacks
Step 1. Make your own butterbeer at home
This is one of the most popular drinks in the wizarding world, and now you can drink it whenever you want. To prepare this recipe, you will need 6 12-ounce bottles of cream soda, 4.5 teaspoons of artificial butter flavoring, 2 cups of heavy cream, 6 tablespoons of sugar, and 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract.
- Ready 6 16-ounce glasses. Add half a teaspoon of artificial butter flavoring to each glass, then pour a bottle of cream soda into the glasses.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream for 3 minutes or until it begins to take shape.
- Add sugar and keep beating until soft peaks start to form.
- Mix in the vanilla and the rest of the artificial butter flavoring and then beat for another 30 seconds.
- Divide foam among 6 glasses and serve.
Step 2. Make a Polyjuice Potion to serve at your next party
In the wizarding world, Polyjuice Potion transforms the person who drinks it into someone else, but in real life, it tastes great. To prepare this recipe, you will need 2 packages of instant soda (like Kool-Aid brand) lemon lime, 1 can of frozen lemonade concentrate, 2 cans of frozen lime juice concentrate, 3 2-liter bottles of Ginger Ale and 4-5 glasses of lime sorbet.
- Mix the Kool-Aid and concentrates. Add Ginger Ale and mix slowly in the straw.
- Serve the punch in a large punch bowl or large pot.
Step 3. Make some cardboard sugar pens
In Harry Potter, sugar pens are a snack that helps students waste time in class, but they also make a great party favor. To create the pen, you will need a large pen, silver cardboard, scissors, masking tape, a glue gun, a marker or marker, and a Pixy Stick (powdered candy in a long paper wrapper, shaped like a stick).
- Cut the cardboard to be 2.5 centimeters (1 ") wide and the length of a Pixy Stick.
- Cut the tip of the cardboard so that it is like a triangle.
- Fold the cardboard in two, lengthwise, and adhere the two sides using the masking tape.
- Use the scissors to poke a hole in the cardboard 1 "north of your side.
- Put a large amount of hot glue in the hole, then slide the tip of the pen into the hole.
- Line the back of the pen with glue, then secure it to the folded piece of cardboard.
- The pen should be fixed to the front of the cardboard, hiding everything but the tip.
- Use the marker or marker to draw a line in the center of the nib of the pen to indicate that it has ink.
- Open the top of the Pixy Stick and slide it into the cardboard sleeve. The sugar should come out of the pen as you pretend to write.
- When the Pixy Stick is empty, replace the old one with a new one.
Step 4. Make some licorice wands to give out as party favors
Licorice wands are popular in magic candy and are a snack that you can easily recreate at home. For this project, you will need a packet of Twizzlers (licorice candy), chocolate, and gold-colored coarse sugar.
- Take the Twizzlers out of their packaging and leave them out overnight to slightly harden.
- Break the chocolate into chunks and place it in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat it there for a minute at a time until it melts.
- Dip the top third of the Twizzlers into the melted chocolate, then coat the chocolate with the coarse, golden sugar.
- Place the Twizzlers on a cookie sheet and leave them in the refrigerator to set.
Method 3 of 3: Craft Harry Potter Items
Step 1. Customize your own Harry Potter mug
If you have a favorite quote from the Harry Potter books, you can easily use it to inspire your own mug with this theme. For this project, you will need a white mug and some different colored markers or markers.
- Write your favorite phrase from the books on the mug with the markers or markers. Let the mug dry overnight before baking it for 30 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (176 degrees Celsius).
- Place the mug in the oven before it heats up, and let it cool in the oven before taking it out. If you skip this step, there could be cracks in the cup.
- Some phrases for your mug could be: "I solemnly swear that my intentions are not good", "Always" and "Felix Felicis".
Step 2. Make your own potion bottles
Harry goes to Diagon Alley every year to buy potion supplies in bulk, but you can make your own potion bottles in just a few easy steps. For this project, you will need miniature bottles, construction paper, decoupage glue, a magic marker or marker, and a rubber band.
- Tear the cardstock into small pieces. On one piece, write the ingredient of a potion with a magic marker or marker (such as frog, dragon blood, tears, etc.).
- Place a small amount of decoupage glue on the back of each card, and then adhere them to the bottles. Wrap a rubber band around the labeled bottle to help the glue set.
- Let the bottles dry and then play with them or display them as you wish.
Step 3. Make a Deathly Hallows T-shirt
If you have a white t-shirt, some black paint, and a paintbrush, you can create your own Harry Potter t-shirt with the Deathly Hallows.
- Place a piece of cardboard between the layers of the shirt. This will prevent the paint from running off the back.
- Paint a triangle shape on the shirt. The triangle should take up the majority of the space on the shirt. If the triangle isn't that dark, redraw it with another coat of paint.
- Paint the line from the top of the triangle to the bottom. Darken that line as needed.
- Draw a circle inside the triangle to complete the image of the Deathly Hallows. Darken the circle as needed. Let the shirt dry before wearing it.
- If you'd rather not make the image by hand, you can also find a template online and use it to create the drawing.
Step 4. Make an owl out of paper plates
Harry Potter's owl Hedwig was one of his most loyal friends, and now you can easily make one for yourself. For this project, you will need a small paper plate, two large paper plates, orange paper, two shades of brown paint, rolling eyes, glue, and a marker or brown marker.
- Paint the small plate and one of the large plates dark brown. Paint the other large plate light brown. Let the dishes dry.
- After they dry, draw a series of wavy lines on the light brown plate. These will serve as the feathers of the owl.
- Cut the large dark brown plate in half. Glue the two halves of the dark brown plate diagonally onto the light brown plate.
- The dark brown halves will serve as the owl's wings, and there should be an opening where you can see the light brown plate and the owl's feathers.
- Glue the small brown plate to the top of the wings to serve as its head.
- Use the orange paper to make the legs and beak of the owl. Attach the legs to the bottom of the owl and the beak to the face.
- Glue the moving eyes to the owl's face and display it.