Dorothy Gale is the main character in the 1900 children's novel The Wonderful Wizard of Oz and the 1939 classic film The Wizard of Oz. Her look is iconic, from her blue and white dress to her ruby red slippers. If you want to look like Dorothy for cosplay, dress up, or a Halloween event, this article has some tips and tricks to help you.
Part 1 of 2: Get Dorothy's Outfit
Step 1. Get the famous gingham dress that Dorothy wore in the movie
Be sure to find a plaid blue and white gingham dress. The best pattern should have small colored squares instead of large ones.
- Many costume stores sell Dorothy's clothing in varying levels of authenticity, from faithful replicas of the movie costume to modern versions with shorter hems and lower necklines. If you don't have the talent or don't want to waste time creating your own dress, buying one is the best option.
- Do an online search for Dorothy's dress. There are talented people selling homemade and handmade versions of Dorothy's dress. You can find dresses of different styles at artisan markets like Etsy.
- Sew Dorothy's dress. If you are handy or want a more authentic look, try sewing your own dress. There are many sewing patterns (such as Simplicity, McCall’s, and others for sale) that can help you recreate Dorothy's dress.
- If you are trying to replicate the costume from the movie, be sure to pay attention to the length of the skirt. Dorothy's skirt drop falls just below her knees, so make sure yours reaches the same spot.
- Dorothy's dress is an apron dress, which is a sleeveless garment usually worn by girls as a dress over a blouse. Sewing a simple apron dress with a blue and white gingham fabric will make a gorgeous costume.
Step 2. Put a white blouse under the dress
Dorothy's blouse has a high neck, no buttons and puffed sleeves. If you can't find a top that matches exactly, try any one with short sleeves.
Step 3. Add the ruby colored sneakers
Major stores sell heels or flat shoes covered in red glitter. Dorothy's ruby-colored slippers had bows on top, so if you want to be authentic, try to find a red sequin bow to add to your footwear.
- You can make your own red glitter shoes. Take a pair of shoes with a wide heel that is about 2 inches high. Clean the shoes and then in small sections begin to cover them with fabric glue. Apply a generous amount of red glitter to the glue-covered section. Wait for the glue to dry completely before applying the glitter to other sections or filling in the holes. Touching the glitter before the glue is dry can cause gaps. Continue applying the red glitter until the shoes are completely covered in glue.
- Sequins can also be used when making homemade ruby shoes. Take a pair of shoes with a wide heel about 2 inches (5.1 cm) high. Buy a spool of red sequin thread. Using the fabric glue, glue the sequin threads in vertical lines along one side of the shoe making sure the original surface is not sticking out anywhere. Cut the thread at the edge of the shoe. Also, be sure to cover the heel with sequins and add a line of sequins along the mouth of the shoe.
- If you want to be more faithful to the book rather than the movie, wear silver slippers instead of Dorothy's iconic red slippers.
Step 4. Wear socks with your sneakers
Dorothy wore short light blue socks that matched her blue dress. Fold your socks. If you can't find light blue socks, white socks can work as well, but make sure they're short.
Part 2 of 2: Get Dorothy's Style
Step 1. Copy Dorothy's braids
Braids are part of Dororthy's iconic look, but her style isn't limited to hair and braids.
- Comb the hair with a part in the middle that goes from the forehead to the neck. Starting with the braids on one side of the head, begin twisting the hair to that side, adding more hair to the braid as you reach the part. Make sure to keep the braid tight.
- When the braid is close to your ear, hold it firmly in place with one hand while starting a three-part braid with the other. Use a simple braid to braid the hair down to around the shoulders, then secure the braid with an elastic.
- Use a curling iron to curl the ends of the hair. Part your hair to form two or three curls.
Step 2. Tie a light blue ribbon in the braids
The ribbon should be tied around the elastic, in the space where the braids end and the curls begin. The ribbon should be tied like little bows. If the ends of the ties are very long, cut them off. The ends should extend just past the ties. Make sure the bow is light blue, very similar to the shade of blue in the dress and stockings.
Step 3. Buy a wig
If you don't have long or dark brown hair, buy or rent a brown wig. You can get a wig with braids or you can add the braids to it.}
If you have the dress, the sneakers, and the braids, brown hair is not necessary. Completing the style with brown hair depends on how much you want to look like the image of Dorothy from the movies
Step 4. Take Toto
If you dress up as Dorothy, don't forget about Toto. If you don't have a real dog or one that can cooperate, use a stuffed dog.
Toto is a dark colored cairn terrier. Many stores sell the plush version of Toto, which you can use to complete your costume. Some places even sell baskets with removable Toto stuffed animals
Step 5. Complete the look with a basket
Bring a small basket, such as an outdoor dining basket. Toto is often sitting in a basket, so make sure he has enough room for your real or stuffed dog.