So you want to know how to dress up as your favorite hero from "The Legend of Zelda"? You just have to follow these simple steps!
Step 1. Decide which Link you want to be
There are about 10 Links in the series, so this could be a difficult decision. The best known Link is the one that appears in Ocarina of time. Check out the tips section for ideas on how to cosplay as Link from a different game.
Step 2. Get a green nightcap
If you can't find one, a green wizard hat might work too. If you have any excess fabric, measure your head and cut 2 long triangles. Then sew the fabrics to make a hat. If you are wearing a wig, measure it as well.
Step 3. Wear a white collared shirt with long sleeves
If you don't have one, you can put on a collarless shirt and sew one into it.
Step 4. On top of the white shirt, put on a green tunic that is longer than the shirt
You can get a fabric mold from a fabric store and modify it, or use a larger size T-shirt as a model. If you're going to be dressed up as Link from The Twilight Princess, make a larger tunic out of fabric that looks like chain mail.
Step 5. Put on a reddish-brown belt
Step 6. Wear brown shawls around your wrists
Step 7. Put on a pair of brown gloves
You can also sew gloves with leather.
Step 8. Put on white leggings
Spandex tight pants are the best option.
Step 9. If you don't have blonde hair, try a wig
Also, remember that Link has long hair, at least for a boy. The Link from The Twilight Princess and The Sky Sword has short blonde hair.
Step 10. Put on some fake elf ears (if you don't have one, try papier-mâché)
You can also buy elf ears at a costume store.
Step 11. Put on brown boots
You may have to modify them if they don't look like the ones Link uses.
Step 12. Get the sword and shield (and other weapons if necessary)
You can make the shield out of wood and the sword out of wood and tape. You can also use fun foam to make the Master Sword and shield.
Step 13. Use the sword in the left hand (in the right hand if it was The Sword of Heaven or the Wii version of The Twilight Princess) and the shield, in the right hand (in the left hand if it was The Sword of Heaven or the Wii version of The Twilight Princess)
And you're already Link! Protect Zelda from Ganondorf!
Step 14. Enjoy
- Practice repeatedly saying things like "Hya!" Link does not speak, so if possible he remains mute.
- Instead of using wood materials, try using papier-mâché and fun foam for your weapons.
- If you want to be appreciated as a true fan, try to make your costume look more like The Twilight Princess, Time Ocarina, or the old school NES Link outfits. Dressing up as the Link from The Baton of the Winds will suffice, but they won't consider you as much.
- If you want to show off your best, be sure to wear a gold hoop (blue in the case of The Twilight Princess) on your right ear (a snap earring would be best) and draw a Triforce on your hand with all 3 pieces in a red outline (left hand).
- Instead of a wig, you can use a washable spray for blonde hair. This is a cheaper alternative, but be aware that you can get dirty with hair spray and it can stain your clothes.
- If you can't afford a shield and want it to look like his, have an adult help you cut one out, and then have fun painting it.
- Instead of a white t-shirt and white leggings, you can wear a brown t-shirt and brown leggings or shorts underneath, take off your wrist gloves and shawls, and sport brown hair to be the old-school Link.
- If you are trying to be Young Link from Ocarina of Time, you do not need to wear leggings, a shirt or shawls around your wrists or gloves
- The sword can also be made of wood, you just have to paint it silver.
- If you want to go big, you should get yourself a 9 or 12 hole blue ocarina.
- If you want to be the Link that appears in The Minish Hat / The Baton of the Winds / Four Swords / Spectral Clock, the tunic must be black / blue / purple / green / red and the shirt must be a shade lighter than that color. For this costume, you don't need to wear gloves. You can ask 3 people to go as the Four Sword Links.