This wikiHow teaches you how to install and use µTorrent to download movies. A torrent file contains data about a file that you want to download. A bitTorrent client like uTorrent uses this information to download the file from another user's computer. Once the download is complete, other users will be able to download the files from your computer. Keep in mind that downloading movies is illegal in most countries and can get you in trouble with the law, or with your Internet provider. Download movies via torrents at your own risk.
Part 1 of 2: Install uTorrent
Step 1. Consider the risks
Downloading movies that you haven't bought is generally against the laws in most countries and can lead to large copyright fines or even a stint in prison. BitTorrent websites generally contain explicit adult material and invasive advertisements or malware that can harm your computer. Make sure you know what you click and what downloads before exposing your system. Unless additional privacy measures are taken, your IP address is public and may be registered by companies that can take legal action against you in the event that you commit Internet piracy.
Step 2. Go to http://www.utorrent.com/ in the URL bar of your browser
This is the uTorrent website. It is one of the most popular bitTorrent clients.
Step 3. Click Download µTorrent Web, or scroll down or click Download uTorrent Classic.
There are two versions of uTorrent available. The uTorrent website works in your web browser. uTorrent Classic is a separate application that you download and run on your computer.
- You probably need to temporarily disable your antivirus to install uTorrent.
- Depending on your browser, you may first have to click Keep or specify a download location before the download begins.
Step 4. Install µTorrent
This process will vary depending on your computer's operating system. Pay close attention during the download process. uTorrent contains additional software downloads that you may not want. Use the following steps to download and install uTorrent:
- Double click on the µTorrent installation file.
- Click on Yes when indicated.
- Click twice on Next.
- Click on I agree.
- Clear the check box for any additional software installation offers.
- Select the shortcut options and click Next.
- Click on Next again.
- Click on To refuse in the recommended programs.
- Click on Finalize to finish the installation.
drag µTorrent to the "Applications" folder
Step 5. Open µTorrent
Just double click on the µTorrent icon to do it. uTorrent Classic will open the uTorrent desktop application. uTorrent Web will open uTorrent in a web browser tab. Now you are ready to download movies using µTorrent.
Part 2 of 2: Download Movies Using Torrents
Step 1. Open your preferred web browser
It is recommended that you use a supported web browser such as Edge, Chrome, or Firefox, as Internet Explorer is likely to be too vulnerable for most torrent websites.
Step 2. Find a torrent website
Torrent websites are unstable due to legal reasons, so you will probably need to search to find a currently operational site rather than relying on any specific torrent website. Use Google to search for “torrents”. You will probably find many websites where the latest and greatest torrent sites are listed.
- The Pirate Bay is the most commonly used torrent site.
- http://www.publicdomaintorrents.info/ allows you to legally download movies that are not copyrighted.
Step 3. Type the name of the movie in the search bar and then press Enter
You will usually find the search bar at the top of the site, although the layout of each site will differ slightly. Searching for the term will open a list of matching results.
Using more specific terms (for example, "Blair Witch 2016" instead of "Blair Witch") will produce more specific results
Step 4. Locate a healthy torrent
When downloading a torrent, there are a few things to look for:
- Seeds- Seeds are users who allow others to download video content from their computer. Ideally, the number in the "SEEDS" column on the right side of the page should be greater than (or nearly equal to) the number in the "CUSTOMERS" column.
- File details- Make sure the filename, category, and any other information in the title exactly match what you're looking for.
- Quality (video only): Look for it to say at least "720p" in the title ("1080p" is ideal) as those files will be in range or exceed DVD quality. Anything less will have poor quality.
Step 5. Click on a torrent to review its comments
There are a few other things to look for:
- Comments- Specifically, look for feedback on whether the torrent is secure or not, as well as feedback on the quality.
- Reviews- Make sure the torrent has a low number of negative comments and a high number of positive ones.
Step 6. Download the torrent
Do so by clicking the "Download" button on the site, which will usually say Download torrent or something similar (for example, Download [file name]).
Many torrent websites have a page full of ads that look like download links, but will take you to another site
Step 7. Double click on the torrent file to open it in µTorrent or drag it directly to µTorrent
When you drop the file there, the movie file will start downloading to your computer.
Step 8. Select a download location
By default, most of the videos you download from torrent clients will go to your "Downloads" folder. If you want to change the installation location, click "Change" and select a location where the file can be downloaded.
Step 9. Click OK or Add.
Doing so will add the torrent file to your download list.
Step 10. Wait for the file to download
You can see the download process in the bar under the word “Status”. The download may take a while depending on how many seeds are available and your connection speed. If you download multiple files at the same time, those that are already started will take precedence.
Once the file has finished downloading, you will see the word "Sharing" appear to the right of the torrent name. This indicates that you are sharing the movie file data with other people who are also trying to download the same movie
Step 11. Scan the downloaded file for viruses
Before looking at the video file, you should scan it to make sure it is safe to open.
Step 12. Click on the downloaded file to view it
Once the download is complete, you can open the file in any media player application.
Try to download movies from users who have been verified, or who have good comments and ratings on that particular torrent site. Verified users are often known for posting good quality, legitimate torrent files
- Torrent sites and torrent files are common sources of virus and malware infections. Before using µTorrent or visiting any torrent search engine, make sure your computer is running up-to-date antivirus or antimalware software to reduce the risk of infection, especially if you are using a Windows computer.
- Download torrent files at your own risk.