If you have Netflix, you have a way to change your preferences. You can change a few things like parental control settings, email communication, etc. Read on to learn what to do.
Method 1 of 3: Change settings on a computer
Step 1. Use a computer
If you're on a tablet, console, or other device, skip to the next section. Most of these devices don't have access to the full Netflix settings, unlike a computer.
Some mobile internet browsers have access to the settings described in this section
Step 2. Visit your account page
Visit https://www.netflix.com/YourAccount and log in. Alternatively, log into the website, hover over your name or profile icon in the upper right, and select Account. There are three types of profiles that have different levels of access:
- The main profile is usually the first on the list. Use it to make changes to your membership plan, email address, password, and billing information.
- Additional profiles have access to all the preferences mentioned above. Use your own profile whenever possible, as some changes will only affect one account.
- Child profiles do not have access to any settings.
Step 3. Change your membership plan
The first two sections on the account page are Membership and Billing and Plan Information. Use these options to change your email address, password, payment method, or streaming plans.
Most of these are obvious, but you may not know about the communications preferences. This page allows you to subscribe to receive emails about new programs, updates or special offers
Step 4. Examine the Plan Details
Use this setting if you want to make changes to the DVD or streaming plan, such as how many DVDs you can order at a time (US only).
Step 5. Change the general settings
The next section on your account page is Settings. This option allows you to change the DVD shipping address, pay an additional cost to receive Blu-ray discs (US only), or add a new device to your Netflix account. There are also a couple of less obvious settings:
- Enable Test Participation to view experimental tools before they are available to the general public. These are usually minor changes to the recommendations or the user interface, but they may occasionally grant you special tools such as Privacy Mode.
- For the United States, you can assign DVD to each profile if there is a fight at home over the DVD queue. You can pay extra to add additional DVDs and assign how many can be ordered at a time per profile.
Step 6. Choose language, playback and subtitle preferences
The final section, My Profile, only affects the profile you have selected. This includes the following options:
- Language: choose a default language. Please note that not all content will be available in all languages.
- Caption Appearance: Modify the color, size, and font of the captions.
- Order in My List: Notify Netflix to stop adding suggestions to the My List category.
- Playback settings: reduce the maximum data usage (recommended if you have a data cap on your internet plan) and disable the automatic playback of the next episode.
Step 7. Manage the profiles
Visit netflix.com/EditProfiles, or hover over your avatar in the upper right and select "Manage Profiles." Here you could add profiles, delete them and set a profile as Children. Child profiles cannot view adult content.
Deleting a profile will permanently erase all of your viewing history, ratings, and recommendations. There is no way to reverse it
Step 8. Access advanced streaming settings
With a Netflix video playing, press and hold Shift + alt = "Image" (or Option on Mac), then left-click on the screen. This will open an advanced settings popup, including the following useful options:
- Stream Manager → Manual selection → choose a buffer speed (how fast Netflix will try to load content in advance).
- Audio and Video Synchronization Compensation → move the scroll bar to fix issues with out-of-sync audio and video.
Method 2 of 3: Change settings on other devices
Step 1. Use a mobile browser whenever possible
Many devices do not have full access to Netflix preferences. Log in to the Netflix website instead using a computer or mobile device's internet browser. Here you can change the preferences as described in the previous section.
It could take up to 24 hours for the changes to propagate to the other devices
Step 2. Change subtitles and language on Android device
Start playing a video in the Netflix app on Android. Tap anywhere on the screen and then on the Dialog icon (a speech bubble) in the upper right to open this setting.
Some devices may have additional settings available. Look for a settings icon in the Netflix app. This normally appears as 3 vertical dots
Step 3. Choose options on an Apple device
IOS devices can change subtitle and language options by tapping on the screen while a video is playing, then tapping the Dialog icon in the upper right corner. To access more preferences, exit the Netflix app, visit your device's settings menu, and scroll down to Netflix.
Step 4. Access the audio and subtitle settings on other devices
Most consoles, TV add-ons, and Smart TVs don't have access to all settings. You will have to log in using a computer. The exception is the audio and subtitle settings, which are usually available in one of the following ways:
- While a video is playing, press Down (most consoles).
- When a title is selected but not playing, select the Dialog icon (speech bubble) or the "Audio and Subtitles" option (Wii, Google TV, Roku, most Blu-ray players and Smart TVs).
- While a video is playing, select the dialogue icon (speech bubble) (Wii U).
- While a video is playing, press and hold the center button on the remote (Apple TV).
Method 3 of 3: Rate Movies to Fit Recommendations
Step 1. Rate movies
Visit netflix.com/MoviesYouveSeen or click Ratings in your Account preferences. Click on the stars to assign a rating of 1-5 to each movie or episode you've seen. The higher you rank, the more accurate Netflix's recommendations will be.
- You can also search for any movie and rate it on the description page. Do this for all your favorite movies to dramatically increase recommendation accuracy.
- Click the "I'm not interested in" option below the rating if you never want Netflix to recommend that movie to you again.
Step 2. Wait for the changes to take effect
It could take 24 hours for Netflix to update its recommendations. Once this happens, your recommendations will need to change on all the devices you use to browse Netflix.
- The settings menu might look different if you are watching Netflix on a TV. If you can't find an option, try logging into a computer. Changes you make to one device should be visible to others within 24 hours.
- To browse all content with subtitles in your default language, visit netflix.com/browse/subtitle.