The driver's license in Mexico is an official document that allows you to move freely on public roads. The metropolitan traffic regulations establish that all drivers in Mexico must have a valid license or permit, otherwise there will be an economic sanction. To acquire it, it is necessary to pay for the procedure and present the corresponding documentation.
Part 1 of 3: Know the Rules of the Road
Step 1. Review the official regulations
To be able to use public space, it is essential to know a little about the jurisdiction and safety in terms of roads.
You can start by reviewing the metropolitan traffic regulations and specifically reading article 5 on automobile matters
Step 2. Prepare for the exam
Recently the laws for the acquisition of a driver's license were modified, now it is necessary that a general knowledge test be applied with which it is verified that you are qualified to obtain the license.
For this you can study the guide for the knowledge test on traffic regulations. Actually this guide is very simple but it will help you locate the type of questions that apply in the exam
Part 2 of 3: Prepare your documentation
Step 1. Know the type of license you require
It is important to emphasize that the requirements are different for each type of driver and that the terms and prices vary depending on the type of license. Check the documents you need in the official mobility file. In general, the categories are divided by type of driver and service.
- Driver- private service
- Public service - taxi, bus, specialized transportation, school and personal, and community service vehicles.
Step 2. Check the validity of your documents
Before going to a service center or kiosk, check that the dates of your documents do not exceed the validity that they ask for. Generally, you only need a proof of address no more than 3 months old, your certified birth certificate and an official identification. Electricity bills are not accepted. Bring 2 copies of each document to avoid looking for them at that time.
Part 3 of 3: Visit Service Centers
Step 1. Locate the nearest service center
To find out which are the treasury service centers in the Federal District, you can search for them on the map of the citizen service portal. There is also the option to search for it by zip code.
Step 2. Get to know the treasury kiosks
This is another option in case you don't have a service center nearby. Kiosks can also be found inside commercial stores, simply choose the one that best suits your location on the map.
Step 3. Make the payment
In the same file where you checked the type of license, the prices will also appear. It is important to emphasize that these prices may be subject to change, you should take into account that the payment is made immediately within the kiosk. The common price of a car license ranges from 750 pesos.
- In the case of underage drivers, it is essential to show proof of a driving course.
- The cancellation or suspension of your license can proceed if you accumulate three infractions in the period of one year. Check within the regulation, other possible causes of cancellation to be prevented.
- Prices may change depending on the state and the date the document is requested.
- Take into account that the same day you make the payment, your photo will be taken for the credential.
- To learn about international permits, see the description and requirements of the Ministry of Transportation
- Stay tuned for renewal. Currently it is no longer possible to obtain permanent licenses but you can renew it if you already have it. If your license is expired, you need to renew it immediately. If you lost your credential, you can show a theft certificate and get a duplicate. Take into account that the duplicate also costs. That is why it is advisable to always take care of this document.