So you have a Mac, it has so many good and original programs but you need to have another program. But how do you install this sweet piece of software on your Mac? This article gives you the top three ways you can install apps and how to do it.
Step 1. Determine what you have
If you have a file that ends in dmg, you have a disk image. If it ends in zip then you have a compressed file. If pkg ends you have a package file. There are other forms of application bundles but these are the most common.
Step 2. Unzip, mount or run the given file
The methods below show how to perform each of the tasks depending on the file.
Step 3. Drag the recently exposed application and drop it into the Applications folder
Method 1 of 3: Disc Images
Disk images have the extension.dmg and can be mounted as a removable drive.
Step 1. Double click on the disk image and it should mount the image and open a new window with its contents
Step 2. A unit will appear with your contents
Search through the files until you find the application.
Method 2 of 3: Compressed Files
Step 1. Unzip the file
If you have a file that ends in.zip you just have to double click on the file and OSX unzips it into a new folder.
Step 2. Open the new folder to find the application
Method 3 of 3: Package Files
If an application needs to make changes to the system to function (add fonts, preferences panel, services, help modules, etc.) then it may be distributed as a package file, with a.pkg extension.
Step 1. Double click on the package
This will start an installation wizard for the application. The installation wizard will perform all the necessary tasks to successfully install the application. After the installation wizard has finished, the application will normally be in the Applications folder, ready to run.
- Sometimes, but not always, you may already have the application file. Just move it to the Applications folder and it will install.
- You can install applications to other folders but Spotlight will not index it.
- You need to have administrative rights to install programs in the Applications folder. Otherwise, you can create a new folder in your home directory and install the applications there.
- If you have problems many times, the place where you obtained the program will have instructions for its installation.
- Sometimes you have to read the manual. If you see a file read me, read it.
- If you install applications to your dock, your computer and the application will initialize and run more slowly.