This wikiHow teaches you how to set up Siri, Apple's personal voice assistant. You can use Siri on iPhone or iPad, as well as on a Mac running MacOS Sierra or later.
Method 1 of 2: On iPhone
Step 1. Make sure you are connected to the Wi-Fi network
For Siri to work properly, the iPhone must be connected to the Internet.
Step 2. Open the "Settings"
of the iPhone.
Tap on the "Settings" app icon, which looks like a gray square with a set of gears inside it.
Step 3. Go down and tap Siri and search
This option is at the top of the "Settings" page.
Step 4. Tap the gray switch
"Press Home for Siri".
It's at the top of the page.
In case the switch is green, Siri will already be enabled on the iPhone. Skip this step and the next
Step 5. Tap Enable Siri when prompted
It's in the pop-up menu at the bottom of the screen. Doing so will enable Siri.
Step 6. Enable "Hey Siri" in case you want to
"Hey Siri" is a feature that allows you to open Siri by saying "Hey Siri" near the iPhone. To enable it, do the following:
- Tap the gray switch for Listen for "Hey Siri".
- Touch Continue when asked.
- Follow the onscreen instructions by speaking the specified text aloud.
- Touch Done when asked.
Step 7. Enable Siri on the lock screen
In case you want to use Siri without having to unlock the iPhoen, tap the gray "Enable Siri when locked" switch.
Step 8. Change the Siri language
If you want to use Siri in a different language than the iPhone uses, tap Idiom, and then touch the language you want to use.
- Note that doing so will disable "Hey Siri". You can re-enable "Hey Siri" by tapping the toggle switch. Listen for "Hey Siri" and speaking the language you have selected for Siri.
Step 9. Change Siri's voice
You can change both the accent and the gender of Siri's voice by tapping on Siri voice, playing a nationality under the title "ACENTO", and playing a genre under the title "GENDER".
- As of August 2018, Siri supports Australian, British and American accents by default. In case you select a language other than English as Siri language, Siri will download and use the accent of that language.
- Siri supports male and female voice.
Step 10. Select voice response options for Siri
Touch Voice feedback, then select one of the following options:
- Always on: Siri will always reply out loud.
- Control with the mute setting: Siri will respond out loud as long as the iPhone is not silent.
- Free hands: Siri will respond aloud when you use a hands-free accessory such as a Bluetooth headset or car speaker.
Step 11. Tap the "Back" button
It's in the upper-left corner of the screen. Siri settings will be saved. At this point, Siri will be set up and ready to go. You can activate it by holding down the "Home" button (or the side on iPhone X), or by saying "Hey Siri" in case you've enabled the "Hey Siri" feature.
- In case Siri doesn't automatically recognize you, you can touch My information and then your name in the "Contacts" menu to allow him to use your contact information.
Method 2 of 2: On Mac
Step 1. Make sure you are connected to the Internet
Siri requires an Internet connection to function at full capacity.
Step 2. Open the Apple menu
Click on the Apple logo in the upper left corner of the screen. A drop-down menu will appear.
Step 3. Click System Preferences…
It's in the drop-down menu. Doing so will open the "System Preferences" window.
Step 4. Click Siri
This multi-colored circle is at the bottom of the "System Preferences" window.
Step 5. Check the "Enable Siri" box
It's on the left side of the window. Doing so will enable Siri on the Mac.
In case the box is checked, Siri will be enabled on the Mac
Step 6. Select a language
Click the "Language" drop-down menu at the top of the window, and then click the language you want Siri to use.
This is necessary only in case you want Siri to use a different language than the one you use on your Mac
Step 7. Select a voice for Siri
Click the "Siri Voice" drop-down menu, and then click an accent and gender option in the drop-down menu that appears.
Depending on the language you choose for Siri and the language your Mac uses, the options for accents may vary
Step 8. Enable Siri voice response
To do this, click the "Enabled" box to the right of the "Voice Response" heading. Doing so will enable Siri's voice response so that when you ask a question, it will give you the answer out loud.
Step 9. Change the keyboard shortcut if necessary
The default key combination you can use for Siri is Option + Space, but you can click the "Keyboard Shortcuts" drop-down menu and select your preferred shortcut to change it.
Step 10. Check the "Show Siri in menu bar" box
It's at the bottom of the right pane of the dialog box. Doing so will place the multi-colored Siri icon in the upper right corner of the Mac screen.
Step 11. Close the window
To do this, click on the red dot in the upper left corner. Siri will be enabled on the Mac.
Step 12. Add your contact card to Siri if necessary
If Siri can't find your information, you can select your contact card to find it for him:
- Open the "Contacts" application on the Mac's Dock.
- Click on the contact information (for example, your name).
- Click on Card in the menu bar, and then click Make it my card in the menu that appears.
Step 13. Activate Siri
To do this, click on the Siri icon, which looks like a multi-colored circle at the far right of the menu bar. Then you can ask your question or presentation out loud for Siri to receive it.
You can also use the keyboard shortcut to activate Siri
- You can use Siri to text or make a call if you are driving or busy.
- You have the option to enable Siri when setting up a new iPhone or a new Mac.