We all know how delicate a laptop is, such as laptops, regardless of the brand they are. And worst of all, how difficult it is to keep clean not only the screen, but its internal components and other accessories. And if the laptop is dark in color like black or dark gray, the issue becomes more complicated, since the dust will be more noticeable than on a light gray or white laptop, giving it a dirty look. In addition, we must remember that a dirty laptop can directly affect performance and put the motherboard and processor at risk, due to overheating due to less internal air flow. Therefore, we will focus on the aesthetic part of the laptop and its internal ventilation.
Method 1 of 2: Exterior Preparation and Cleaning
Step 1. Use a powerful motor vacuum cleaner to remove all accumulated dust particles
Otherwise, you can use a common, practical vacuum cleaner with USB connectivity. Remember to always carry a set of screwdrivers with you since you will have to open the laptop, until you reach its internal components. Also have a connection on hand, to connect the motor vacuum cleaner.
- Clean in an open and uncluttered area, as dust particles fly away and can make a mess around.
- In some models you will have the possibility of removing the keyboard thanks to some locks that exist at the ends of it, and you will be able to access the motherboard without having to disassemble everything.
Step 2. Remove any dust that might exist inside the laptop keyboard with the air pressure vacuum
Remember to go through all the possible holes in each key. Don't forget to clean the touchpad and its two buttons, as it also collects dust over time.
- Go to the article on cleaning a laptop keyboard
- As a useful alternative, you can purchase a can of compressed air that you can find at home improvement or office supply stores.
- Being very careful not to scratch anything, you can use a toothpick with a small cotton ball on the end to clean hard-to-reach areas with a cloth.
Step 3. Turn off the laptop, disconnect it from the mains and remove the built-in battery
The battery is located under the keyboard, as shown in the following image. To remove it, just slide the two latches that normally hold it. This is a good time to take advantage of cleaning the battery component and the inlets through which it transmits energy with high pressure air.
Sometimes the contacts can suffer some kind of corrosion due to their continuous use, a recommendation for these cases is to clean them with isopropyl alcohol, this has the particularity that when it dries it does not leave crystals on the surface that could affect the metal contacts
Step 4. Clean the case and the edges of the screen trying not to touch the screen
It uses silicones for use in cleaning computer equipment, either in liquid or paste form.}
Once you've applied a thin layer of silicone, let it dry for about ten minutes. With a soft cloth, rub the areas where you have applied the silicone, in the shape of circles and continue cleaning the screen following the procedure recommended in How to clean the screen of a laptop with household tools
Step 5. Close the laptop to continue cleaning the exterior, that is, the side where the ports are located, the CD / DVD drive, memory slots and ventilation slots
Go through each one twice, to make sure the dust particles were successfully removed.
Method 2 of 2: Interior Cleaning
Step 1. Remove accumulated dust from the RAM memory area and its slots
Note: Be careful with these steps, as the inside of a laptop is delicate. If it is better to ask for the help of someone with experience if you have not done it before. Normally you will find a tiny icon, as well as in the image the red box and also the screw involved that you need to disassemble to clean the RAM memory area.
Raise the grid and preferably not make physical contact with the memories. Once the area is cleaned, set it up and move on to the next step
Step 2. Clean the dust from the hard drive
Normally you will find a tiny icon, as well as in the image the red box and also the screws involved that you need to disassemble to clean the hard disk area. Raise the grill, remove the hard drive, and proceed to clean. Finally the reverse process.
- If you are going to clean the keyboard area of the laptop with silicones in liquid form, pour it on the sponge and wait a few seconds until the sponge absorbs the liquid and then apply it on the keyboard and the surrounding areas.
- It is highly recommended, and even mandatory, to use paste silicones for the keyboard area and other areas where there is danger of liquid access to the interior chamber of the laptop where the motherboard, hard disk, memory are located. and other delicate contacts. Use the silicone sparingly and in a very thin layer to prevent build-up in grooves and other hinged intersections on the laptop.
- Use a soft, absorbent cloth to clean your laptop screen.
- Use a very soft cloth or flannel to polish your laptop.
- If you use liquid type silicones in the area of the keyboard, never pour it on it, as it could pass the thin and delicate membrane, reach the electrical contacts and cause a short circuit or initiate corrosion of the contacts.
- Always check that there is nothing wet on your laptop, before connecting it to the mains, connecting the battery or turning it on.
- Never disassemble the keys of a laptop; leave that action to qualified personnel.