Internet dating sites can lead you to find your love and many times to get married. You can find a friend or you can find disaster or even death. It is extremely important that you heed the red flags that pop in your mind when you perceive and hear something that does not seem to be correct about the person on the other side, when you perceive or hear something that seems to make no sense or not being right about the person on the other side, realize that many times maybe that person is not the person they introduce by email. Be careful, be cautious, be vigilant, and be safe.
Step 1. Find a dating site
There are many out there, and there are many new ones each time. Find a site that is reputable. Get away from seedy places. It would be a very good idea to find a site that specializes in your interests, such as gay dating, African American dating, or even specialized sites with people of the same religion.
Step 2. Remember that most sites will offer you a free trial period
If they ask for your credit card, make sure they will charge you after that trial period has ended, unless you make sure to cancel before then (see tip below).
Step 3. Sign up with honest information about yourself
Don't lie about your weight, interests, or show any photos from when I was much younger. After all, the idea of dating someone you meet on an online dating site is to meet someone in person.
Step 4. Remember never to give your personal information
Don't give your phone number, don't give your address, don't give your last name. If things are going well, you can do this later.
Step 5. Make sure that when you contact someone you keep the conversation going by email for a bit
Create a new email for yourself that you use only for dating sites. Do not give your personal information or your personal address.
Step 6. Try to do as much research as possible about the other person, via email, so you can get an idea of what they are like
With practice, you will be able to tell a lot about the other person by the way they answer questions and what they tell you in email.
Step 7. Don't give out your phone number; Instead, ask for their phone number
Call him, but make sure to block your phone number if you are using your home phone. If you have a cell phone, use it. If she refuses to give you her home phone, be cautious. He is probably married or has some other reason, but he will also be being as cautious as you. Instead of talking on the phone, suggest that they meet in a neutral place. (See tips below).
Step 8. Be wary of asking if you have a webcam
Most of the time, men with webcams want to show themselves naked. This is a great red flag.
Step 9. When you talk to this person on the phone, and after a bit of chatting, he suddenly starts talking about sexual things or asks you what you are wearing, hang up
This is a red flag.
Step 10. Some people do not like to chat in email for long periods of time or give their phone number
Don't be disappointed if he asks you to get to know each other better. Ask him where he wants you to meet. Be careful, if he suggests that they meet at his house or yours, this is another great red flag. Stop communicating with this person immediately. Always meet in public, neutral places, preferably during the day.
Step 11. When you meet a person for the first time, be sure to look for a public location, where there are a lot of people around, such as a restaurant or cafe near a crowded street
Only after you've gotten to know him well and feel confident about him can you invite him to dinner, etc. Also tell a friend or family member that you are going to meet a person for the first time, where you are going to meet him and what his name is. Also give your family member or friend their phone number, if you have one.
- Make sure you don't forget to cancel on the website after the trial period. Sign up and then cancel, both at the same time. This will allow you to have the free trial period and cancel after this period.
- Read your emails carefully. If your spelling is bad (and you have a spell checker) or your grammar really is very bad, or maybe you don't have the level of education that it says on your profile.
- Never tell him that you feel very lonely or that you are alone in your house, or tell him any other personal information. This is always the reason that girls are attracted to meet someone unbalanced and are killed.
- Remember, don't believe everything he tells you and don't tell him everything about yourself.
- Be and cunning, cautious, careful. Maybe you can meet the perfect guy for you. Love is out there; if you are lucky you will find it.
- Warning signs mean danger… And you feel that something is wrong, maybe it could be something that is quite wrong. Remember that all you have to do is shut down your computer to get rid of it, but delete it first. You can even notify your ISP about him, they will block him, but most of the time he will re-enter the site with another identity.
- When you start communicating, save a copy of their profile on your computer. If it turns out to be someone who needs to be blocked and re-enters under another identity, you will have their profile information to use in comparison if you suspect that they are contacting you with another new identity. If he continues to bother you with another new identity, contact your internet dating provider and explain the situation. It will take some actions based on the person rather than their online identity.
- When you meet in person, make sure you meet him in a public place like the library, a fast food place, far from where you live, if you really want to be safe, invite him to meet you at an event where your friends are going, for example, to a band performance, a community event at a park or community center, etc. This way if it looks weird or it's not your type, you won't have to go alone.
- When you leave, make sure he's not following you home. If you suspect that he is following you home, then take the longest route home. Go to a store, a coffee shop, or a public place and tell them that they are following you. If you have a cell phone, call an emergency number (even when cell phones stop working, they can still call emergency numbers).
- Some marriages have resulted from internet dating. There are also many nice and honest people who are looking for a partner. Just be careful and cautious.
- One smart thing you can do is do some research on the person to make sure they are who they say they are and if you know where they say they work, you can call their work and check if they really work there and if not, don't know them. ALERT SIGNAL.
- If he insists on meeting you, and you are a minor, tell your parents. Do not hide the emails or the person of your Parents, show them anything that you have received and that has a sexual nature.
- Remember: you would not let a stranger into your home. You should also not allow an internet stranger to enter your home.
- Many men have many identities in one place. They use different names, ages, and locations. Some men pose like women, so watch out for women.
- Some men say they are single or divorced, when in fact they are quite committed to their marriage. Try to find as much information as you can using the computer and end communication with them if you find something you don't like.
- The last line is "be careful." Use your judgment and your instincts, trust them.