A meter is a unit of length in the metric system. It is part of the International System of Units. Most countries in the world use the metric system (but not the United States, Liberia, and Burma). Especially if you are from a country that does not use the metric system, you may need to understand how to convert yards to meters. It is a simple formula.
Method 1 of 3: Convert Yards to Meters
Step 1. Determine the number of meters in a yard
There are 0.9144 meters in each yard. Simply multiply that number by the number of yards to get the number of meters. The formula for converting yards to meters is: m = yd X 0.9144.
- This calculation was determined in 1958 by the United States and Commonwealth countries such as Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.
- For example, if you were trying to convert 100 yards to meters, you would simply multiply 0.9144 by 100 (answer: 91.44 meters).
- The formula for calculating 2 yards would be 2 X 0.9144 meters = 1.8288 meters, and so on.
Method 2 of 3: Convert meters to yards
Step 1. Use a division to do the reverse conversion
To convert meters to yards, use division. The formula is yd = m divided by 0.9144.
- For example, the formula to convert 50 meters to yards would be 50 meters divided by 0.9144 = 54.68066492.
- A yard was originally thought to be the average length of a person's stride. It is a unit of length that equals three feet. You will need to understand what a meter is in order to determine other units of measurement, such as the newton.
Method 3 of 3: Use Online Tools
Step 1. Use an online calculator
Many web pages allow you to enter a quantity in yards in order to determine the equivalent in meters (or the opposite). Sometimes you will see that yard will be abbreviated as "yd" and meter as "m".
- Some people need to convert swim times between yards and meters due to swimming competitions. There are also elaborate online calculators to help you do this. Some of them even allow you to enter an altitude setting.
- They are easy to use and you can usually use them to determine otherwise. Just enter the number of yards and see how the conversion is calculated.
Step 2. Use a conversion table from yards to meters
If you don't want to do the multiplication yourself or use an online calculator, you can easily find online conversion tables for yards to meters.
- These tables usually show the yards in one column and the corresponding meters in the column on the side.
- For example, some conversion tables from yards to meters display each conversion from 1 to 100 or display them in 5-yard increments.