Uncomfortable situations can be stressful when you don't know how to handle them. Each person must face them at some point, and knowing the ways to leave one is a good life skill. You could be dealing with an awkward conversation, a bad date, or accidentally calling someone names. In either case, you can leave the situation if you remain calm, have an escape plan, or use humor.
Method 1 of 5: Leave an awkward conversation
Step 1. Wait for a pause in the conversation
Conversations by nature have moments when they slow down or have a pause. This is usually the point where you start a new topic if you want to stick with it, but it's also the perfect time to take action to finish it. Use transitional words (like okay, fine, or good) to start saying goodbye.
Step 2. Summarize the important points of the conversation
Before leaving the conversation, it is good to emphasize some important points of the conversation to make the person notice that you have listened. Doing so will also indicate that you are ready for the conversation to end. Say something like, “It was great talking to you. I didn't know you were also interested in science fiction! It's great that we have the same favorite movie!”
Step 3. What is one reason you have to leave?
Make a final comment on the topic you are talking about, and then state why you have to leave. This doesn't have to be true, but it should be credible and urgent enough that you have to leave.
For example, if you're talking about a book, you can say, “Wow, I don't remember that part of the book. I will have to read it again. Well, it was great meeting you, but I have to go. I'm late to pick up a friend from work. Have a great afternoon! "
Step 4. Introduce someone else to the person if you can't leave
If you're at a party and don't want to or can't leave, you can escape the conversation by introducing someone else to the person. Find someone you know and give them a call to meet the person you are chatting with. After introducing him, politely indicate that you should go to the bathroom or get a snack.
Think of a common interest that you both have so that you can start your presentation. For example, you can introduce someone by saying, “This is my friend Matt. They both have a lot in common! He also played quarterback on his high school football team. "
Method 2 of 5: Dealing with the act of insulting someone by accident
Step 1. Tease the situation
Turn the accidental insult into something they can laugh at by telling a joke after the comment.
- Say “I was just kidding! Can you imagine if it were true? Wow!" it can help you cover it up and put the comment aside.
- Give it a casual touch by saying something like “One of my many talents is knowing the perfect phrase to say to people in any situation” and laughing.
Step 2. Deflect the insult on yourself
Tell the person you accidentally insulted that you were only joking and that the comment was more of a personal statement about you. She will be more likely to forget it if you tell her that you were actually being honest about yourself and didn't want to make that comment about her.
If you insult someone because of their appearance, make up a story that turns the comment into a personal narrative. Say "I've always been self-conscious about my appearance, so sometimes I project it on other people."
Step 3. Confront the situation honestly
Mention that you didn't mean to insult her and sincerely apologize for doing so. Admit the mistake of insulting her and end the comment with a compliment.
- If you've insulted her by pointing out something you don't like about her, be honest about it. Say something like “I'm sorry I hurt you, it's just that sometimes you wear too much perfume to come to work. Maybe you just have a very keen sense of smell. I really like your outfit! You have the best wardrobe, where do you buy your clothes?”.
- If you emailed the wrong person, apologize and tell them that the message was for someone else, but that you shouldn't have mentioned the comment at all.
Method 3 of 5: Fix the autocorrect errors
Step 1. Respond to the situation quickly
If your phone self-corrects a text message and makes it somewhat embarrassing or offensive, you should send a new message as soon as possible to mention the error to the recipient. If you wait too long, the person might think that you really wanted to write what you sent them. Send a new message to apologize for the mistake.
Step 2. Laugh at it
Nowadays, people know that most phones use an auto-correction program, so when you accidentally send a message that doesn't say what you wanted to mention, most will understand the mistake. Make a joke of the mistake by saying something about it right after you make it.
Write “Ha ha. Apparently my phone has a different opinion than mine. "
Step 3. Consider turning off the autocorrect
Most phones will give you the option to disable autocorrect. If you deactivate it, it could take longer to write the text messages, and you could still misspell the words, but you will know that you have sent what you wanted to write. Some phones underline misspelled words so you can fix them.
Check your phone's user manual to find out how you can disable autocorrect
Method 4 of 5: Dealing with a Bad Date
Step 1. Change the subject
If the person you're dating is constantly talking about topics that don't interest you or that bore you, try changing the subject. Make a general comment about the topic you are talking about or joking about, and then introduce a new one.
- Say something like, “Wow, I think it's great that you're so passionate about cats! One of my greatest passions is soccer. I play every weekend and I always throw a big party to watch the World Cup. Have you ever played soccer? "
- Make a joke, like “Oh Mrs. Accountant, don't bore me with finances! I want to know what you do for fun!”
Step 2. Indicate that you have a deadline
Cutoff times don't just exist for high school kids. Even as an adult, you can indicate that you have to get home at a certain time because you will have a busy day the next morning or because you need to get to see your pet. Stating that you have a cut-off time will prevent the possibility of the date taking too long.
You can mention your cut-off time to the person you're dating early in the evening and, if things aren't going well, remind them that you need to go home. However, if the date is going very well, you can also tell him that you are willing to stay up late because you are having a lot of fun
Step 3. Pretend you have an important call
It's a good idea to have a friend call you during your date so you can use that as an excuse to leave. Plan to have a friend call you 30 to 40 minutes after the date starts, and make sure the sound is on, so you can hear the call. If the date goes wrong, answer the call, say something like “Oh no! I'll go right away! " and hangs up. Be prepared to tell the person that you have to go and say goodbye politely.
- Tell him you forgot to pick up your friend's son from school.
- Tell him that your dog has run away and you have to go pick him up at a neighbor's house.
Step 4. Pretend you're sick
A false illness is a good reason to leave a date. Ask permission to go to the bathroom and stay in it for 10 minutes. Wipe a damp paper towel over your face and hairline, and exit the bathroom holding your stomach. Tell the person that you feel bad and that you are going home.
- You can leave some cash to pay for the appointment if you want to be nice.
- Go quickly so he doesn't offer to take you home.
Method 5 of 5: Deal With Forgetting Someone's Name
Step 1. Say your memory is failing
If you forget someone's name but need to introduce this person to a friend, you can be totally honest and say that your memory is failing. Apologize for forgetting the name and then say that your memory is failing from all the appointments you have that day.
Most people will understand that a busy schedule and stress can cause memory to fail, so using this as the reason you forgot your name is justified
Step 2. Introduce a friend to the person
If you've forgotten his name, a good way to get him to say it is to introduce him to one of your friends. Find a friend nearby and say "Hey, I'd like to introduce you to my friend." Say your friend's name and then wait for the other person to finish introducing themselves.
For example, say "I would like to introduce you to my friend Katie Gellar," and the person should respond something like "Hi Katie, my name is Melanie Smith."
Step 3. Ask for their contact information
You can get a person's name by asking for their contact information. You can ask him to put the information on your cell phone and then look at the list of new contacts before saving. Another way to discover a person's name is to ask for their business card. Many people carry business cards with them, which include their name and contact information. Tell her that you want to keep in touch with her and ask for her card.
Ask him to spell his name for you to make sure you heard him correctly
- Be as sincere as possible. It's always best to be honest in all situations, but if you have to tell an innocent little lie to get out of an awkward situation, just make sure you use a good reason.
- Don't let an awkward situation put you off. Keep in mind that we all experience uncomfortable situations at some point in life, so it won't be the end of the world when they occur. Let the moment happen and then forget about it. Someday you will remember it and laugh about it.
- Create a plan for an escape strategy before going on a date or party. If you need to escape an awkward situation, you will already know what to do.
- There are some applications that you can download on your cell phone and that call you when you open them. You could download one and have it ready for any awkward situation that arises.
- Uncomfortable situations can make you feel very anxious. If you start to feel anxious, the situation will feel more uncomfortable. Take a few deep breaths to give yourself a moment to think about how to leave the situation.
- Lies can get you in trouble. If you choose to tell a lie to escape an awkward situation, be aware that the person you are lying to may find out. If they find out that you've lied, you could lose their friendship.
- If you feel stuck in an awkward situation, you can get up and walk away without giving an explanation. Any situation in which you feel you could get hurt should be immediately abandoned.