Hooters is a restaurant franchise with more than 400 locations in the United States and in 27 countries. The chain, colloquially known as "tetarestaurante," employs approximately 17,000 women as waitresses, known as Hooters girls. The standard uniform for a Hooters girl includes a pair of petite orange shorts and a low-cut tank top. This look encourages the Hooters girl to take advantage of her sex appeal compared to waitresses who serve in a more draped uniform at other restaurants.
Part 1 of 3: Apply to be a Hooters Girl
Step 1. Research the requirements
A Hooters girl job description does not typically require a lot of hospital experience before applying for this position. Instead, most advertisements prioritize that you must be at least 18 years old and have the "ability to maintain an attractive and fit image."
You may find that you will become more competitive for a job if you gain experience in a restaurant or cafeteria by taking orders, working a cash register, and contributing to a large team. Although this is not strictly necessary in all locations, popular Hooters locals will consider the experience in a competitive hiring environment
Step 2. Apply for a job in person
You can find job postings in the "Careers" section of the Hooters website (www.hooters.com). However, many Hooters girls report walking into a restaurant and filling out an application after asking for it.
- Because the value of a Hooters girl is, according to the company's manual, based on her ideal appearance as "an American cheerleader, surfer, or model," you must present yourself in a way that embodies at least one of these three types. girl.
- Dress professionally, but in a way that is flattering on your body. Consider wearing a pair of dark skinny jeans with knee-high boots and a blouse, a flattering pencil skirt, or a dark-colored bodycon dress (like black or navy blue) when you walk in to ask for work. Your potential manager will notice your appearance.
- Hooters generally does not employ men to be part of its wait staff. However, this restaurant has faced many lawsuits for this practice. In 1997, she won a class action lawsuit against male plaintiffs on the grounds that hiring female staff to wait tables was a "bona fide occupational requirement" for the business, meaning the core value of her business will change. if they started hiring male waiters.,
Step 3. Conduct a job interview
You may be interviewed after you've filled out the application if the Hooters restaurant immediately needs to hire more staff. However, you may be called to have an interview on another date. Wear an outfit similar to the one you wore when you applied.
- Emphasize your permanently jovial disposition. Most job advertisements for Hooters girls state that they should be "fun, lively, and entertaining."
- Smile constantly during the interview and don't talk negatively about your past work experiences or complain about your previous bosses. Talk about your interpersonal skills and how you can strike up a conversation with strangers.
- You may be asked questions about your past work experiences, how to perform customer service, how to handle stressful situations or work as a team, as well as your hours and availability, etc.
Step 4. Sign the acknowledgment form
You will need to sign this form if you are offered a job position. In it, you state that you understand that the Hooters work environment is "a place where jokes and hints based on a woman's sexual attractiveness are common."
Similarly, you must state that you do not consider your "job responsibilities, uniform, or work environment to be offensive, intimidating, hostile, or inappropriate."
Part 2 of 3: Work Like a Hooters Girl
Step 1. Dress your uniform appropriately
According to the Hooters employee manual, your tank top should always be in your shorts. Don't reveal your abdomen. You must wear a white or nude bra and it should not be visible to clients.
- Similarly, you must wear pantyhose under the shorts and they must be tan in color. You can choose a darker shade if your skin is. You are not allowed to wear pantyhose that is lighter in color than tan.
- For your footwear, you should wear white and drooping socks, and white canvas sneakers. These cannot be any other color and must be tall.
- Your tattoos must not be visible while wearing the uniform.
- You are not allowed to wear the Hooters uniform anywhere other than this. It should not be displayed outside the restaurant.
- Similarly, you should prepare to pay for the additional elements of the uniform (tank tops, shorts, pantyhose, etc.). A uniform will be provided to you, but then you have to purchase the additional items in case the uniform gets dirty or ripped.
Step 2. Maintain the correct hairstyle
The Hooters Handbook strictly prohibits wearing a ponytail or pigtails, hats, or headbands. Hair should be styled "glamorous", suggesting that it should be left loose, long, and full of volume.
- Consider placing your hair in large rollers for an hour after drying, as this will give it more volume and nice waves.
- Similarly, you should try to comb the roots of your hair, brush them, and spray hairspray or hair spray to add more volume.
Step 3. Accentuate your features with makeup
Makeup is also a required component of your appearance while working at Hooters. This should be "always ready for the camera" according to the manual.
- The basic components of your beauty routine should consist of foundation (to even skin tone and cover redness), concealer (to cover blemishes and dark circles), lipstick, mascara, and eyeshadow. Your makeup should be rich, but sensual. Stick with pink, coral, and pink lip color. Avoid dark wine or plum undertones.
- Consider more neutral shades like brown and gray for your eyeshadow. Don't try anything too impressive (like a bright blue or purple) or overwhelming (like 1960s eye makeup or smokey eyes). An American look means beauty and sensuality, but natural.
- You are encouraged to think that you are not just a waitress, but a model who has been assigned to represent the glamorous guide through the client's pantheon of entrenched Hooters fantasies.
Step 4. Wear the appropriate amount of jewelry
Hooters encourages wearing little jewelry; its manual limits its use to one necklace, two rings per hand, and two earrings per ear. The use of chokers and tongue piercings is prohibited.
Step 5. Maintain proper nails
A Hooters girl should have nice, clean nails with a French manicure or natural color. If you use false nails, make sure they look clean and reapply them when they start to chip or break.
You are not allowed to use black, gold, silver, purple, blue, green, yellow nail polish. Avoid anything that suggests you may have slightly eccentric taste
Step 6. Be punctual and professional
Always show up on time for your shift and be prepared to help your co-workers when conflicts arise with their schedules. Most women who work as Hooters girls have other responsibilities, such as working, going to college, and caring for their families.
Try to keep a flexible schedule. Try to help your co-workers who may have other demands on their time if you have periods where you can take on extra shifts, such as during breaks from your studies
Step 7. Get to know your customers
In this type of restaurant, 75% of the customers are men, the majority of whom are middle-aged. Unlike other restaurants, Hooters encourages waitresses to have a personal relationship with their customers. Strike up a conversation with them and give them personalized attention.
- Be very friendly, positive, and entertaining. Don't complain, make offensive jokes, or use profane language.
- Don't touch your customers. Most restaurants stipulate that you can only touch customers when you place a hand around their waist in a photograph.
Step 8. Take care of everything for your clients
Hooters calls this a non-interventionist perspective. If your customers ordered a mug of beer, pour them individually. Open each container for them. Your job is to make sure they can just relax and eat.
Part 3 of 3: Maintaining Your Career at Hooters
Step 1. Exercise regularly
Hooters emphasizes that their waitresses must be fit, which means they are not obese or overweight. Otherwise, they can be fired. You may need to exercise at least three times a week to maintain a Hooters girl body type.
Consider walking, running, swimming, biking, or hiking for at least 30 minutes 3 to 4 times a week
Step 2. Understand the state of the business
Although chain restaurants, such as The Olive Garden and Applebee's, have generally struggled to attract customers since the recession, restaurants like Hooters and other similar places, such as Twin Peaks and The Tilted Kilt, have actually grown. since 2008. Many waitresses also report getting large tips at these restaurants compared to other franchises.
Step 3. Know the risks
Even though you can earn big tips at Hooters, studies show that this job has a psychological effect on its employees. In some studies, Hooters girls have reported experiencing lewd comments, groping, harassment, and even harassment in extreme cases.
- The result is that many waitresses who work in these types of restaurants have reported experiencing feelings of depression, anxiety, anger and some degradation. They often feel pressured to maintain the beauty standards set by the company.
- Reach out to your support system of co-workers, friends, and family if you start to feel this way while working at this restaurant. Many waitresses have claimed to have formed an emotional bond with their colleagues due to these types of problems.