Modeling is a glamorous profession that can make your most successful stars rich and famous internationally. However, before you can walk the runway or grace magazine covers, you will need to be recruited by a modeling agency. Fortunately, in the age of social media it is easier than ever for aspiring models to be discovered. With a little perseverance and the right appearance, you can attract a recruiter's attention and launch your modeling career.
Method 1 of 2: Get recruited in person
Step 1. Hang out at clothing stores in tourist areas
If you are an aspiring model, spend a lot of time in places where recruiters from modeling agencies tend to look for new talent. Within large cities, there are almost always recruiters looking for new hires from clothing stores in major high-traffic areas. These places are frequented by many attractive and fashionable young people.
- Go shopping whenever you can, even just window shopping, especially in big cities.
- In London you can go to shops like Top Shop in Oxford Circus. In New York City, try H&M in Herald Square or Zara in Bryant Park.
Step 2. Go to concerts and festivals
Concerts by musicians popular with teens, like Ariana Grande, and music festivals like Coachella, are also places where many attractive young people often congregate. Model recruiters also flock there to find new talent. If you are an aspiring model, these events are great for recruiting, so attend whenever you can.
Step 3. Go out in public as much as possible
To attract the attention of a recruiter in the real world, you will need to get out of the house and show up in public places as often as you can. You never know where a recruiter might be looking, so prepare to be discovered anywhere.
- Some supermodels were discovered in random places, like airports and supermarkets or just walking down the street.
- A recruiter from one of the major agencies reveals that they are actively searching McDonald’s in tourist spots in big cities, trying to find foreigners or beauties from small towns, so don't rule out getting caught at a fast food restaurant!
Step 4. Wear simple clothes when you go out
If you're trying to get recruited, don't let your outfit be a distraction. Recruiters want to see what your body and proportions look like. If you wear clothes that are too elaborate, you can hide your silhouette and make it difficult to imagine what you would look like in different styles.
- Wear basic, simple, and flattering clothes like a plain T-shirt and jeans.
- Summer is a better season than winter to be recruited from places with seasonally varying climates, because bulky winter clothing makes it harder to spot the silhouettes of potential models.
Step 5. Use a minimalist style in your hair and makeup
Recruiters are after natural beauties, so don't hide your bone structure and features under too much makeup or distracting elaborate hairstyles. Pick a clean, fresh look with little to no makeup, and don't worry about it being perfect.
Some features that you might think detract from your appearance, such as a slightly crooked tooth, are exactly what will set you apart in the eyes of a recruiter
Step 6. Always check the recruiter's credentials
If you are approached by a recruiter, do your due diligence to make sure it is legitimate and not a fraud. Go home and look online for the agency they claim to belong to to make sure the offer is real.
Fake recruiters try to get aspiring models to go to their studios and take pictures, for which they will charge astronomical amounts of money. A real agent will never ask you for money
Method 2 of 2: Get Discovered on Instagram
Step 1. Make your Instagram profile public
Today, in the digital age, modeling agencies are increasingly turning to Instagram to recruit new talent. Set your Instagram account to be public, not private. This way, everyone can see your profile, not just your confirmed followers.
The default settings for an Instagram account are public, so if you've recently created your account, you don't need to do anything. If you already had an account set to private, go to your profile page. Select the "settings" icon (the gear symbol in the upper right corner). In Options turn off the Private account settings
Step 2. Maintain a professional Instagram account
If you're an aspiring model with a public profile, you want potential employers to see it. Don't put anything inappropriate on your account that you wouldn't want a future boss to see. Add relevant personal information to the bio section of your account, including the city where you live and email address, so modeling agencies can contact you.
However, avoid posting your exact address on a public online profile, for security reasons
Step 3. Post many different types of photos on your profile
Show off your face and body from various angles and in various poses to highlight how versatile you are as a model. Post photos in many settings and environments.
- Photographs should also capture your life and daily activities to give an idea of who you are and how you look in natural surroundings. Take photos at parties, at work, or at school.
- Do not post photos that are too edited, retouched or with many filters, because then you will hide your natural beauty.
- Selfies can be helpful in showing certain facial features and unique bone structures, but make sure they are appropriate and not the only type of photo you post. For example, bathroom selfies may not help you develop your modeling profile on Instagram.
Step 4. Let your personality shine through with spontaneous images and opinions
Recruiters and agencies want to get an idea of who you are as a person. To be successful as a model, you have to possess more than just beauty and a unique appearance. Be a personable, engaging, and interesting person who is easy to work with.
Highlight your personality by posting ridiculous photos making silly gestures to show your sense of humor. Use the Instagram platform to post messages advocating for causes and charities that you believe in. Having a strong voice and well-informed opinions makes you a more engaging potential role model
Step 5. Use hashtags to get noticed by brands and agencies
Put a hashtag or pound sign (#) in front of a word or phrase in the caption to make the image appear in any search for that hashtag. Use existing popular hashtags in captions to get model recruiters looking for these hashtags to see your photos.
- Use English phrases like #scoutme or #getscouted. Include multiple hashtags in the caption of any photo.
- Tag modeling agencies directly to try to get their attention. For example, Elite Model Management uses the hashtag #MakeMeElite, while Wilhelmina Models, another major agency, uses #WillyScouts. Search agencies' Instagram accounts for the tags they use.
Step 6. Label the brands you use
Representatives of clothing brands may notice your photos if you tag their brand accounts in images where you wear their clothing. If they like your aesthetic, they will probably use your image on their Instagram page. This will increase your exposure and experience as a model.
After deciding the image you want to publish and adding a filter to it, you will reach the Share screen. Choose the "Tag People" option. Tap the image and start entering the username until it appears in the drop-down menu, then you can select it. The account you tagged will be notified and they will see your photo
Step 7. Participate in modeling agencies' Instagram recruitment campaigns
Sometimes agencies try to find new models by inviting applicants to use specific hashtags. Check the accounts of modeling agencies regularly to see if they will be running any recruiting drives.
IMG runs a very popular and successful social media campaign, this agency represents more than half of the 21 highest paid models in the US The campaign is called @WeLoveYourGenes and aspiring models are asked to use the hashtag #WLYG in their photos
Step 8. Accumulate as many followers as you can
Brands and modeling agencies are excited to work with social media influencers who have a large following and can reach a large audience. If you have an account with a large following, you will be a more attractive model prospect.
Many of the tips for getting recruited on Instagram will also help you get more followers: create a public profile, post interesting content, show your personality, and use popular hashtags so that you appear often in searches
Step 9. Check your Direct Messages
A modeling agency that has noticed your account and likes how you look might try to set up an informal meeting with you by sending you a direct message on Instagram. In English, this is known as sliding into your DMs. Check your direct messages regularly. If you are contacted, verify that the person who contacted you is from a legitimate agency.
You can access your Instagram direct messages by tapping the icon that looks like a paper plane in the upper right corner of your phone screen. These messages are private and can only be viewed by the account user, unlike comments posted on photos
Step 10. Send direct messages to modeling agencies
If you don't want to wait to be recruited, try sending a message directly to the Instagram account of the modeling agency you are interested in working with. Some agencies specifically mention in their Instagram bios if they want aspiring models to send them a direct message.
- Open direct messages and tap the + icon in the upper right corner to compose a new message.
- Write a quick and professional message to introduce yourself. Include two small images that are representative of your appearance.